2020 marks the 25th anniversary of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action and the 20th anniversary of the United Nations Security Council Resolution 1325 on women, peace and security.
YPFP Brussels is pleased to announce our new Gender Initiative 2020 which celebrates and commemorates these two major anniversaries through a series of events, expert interviews, and publications.
Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action
The Beijing Declaration and the Platform for Action was adopted unanimously by 189 countries at the United Nations’ Fourth World Conference on Women (Beijing, September 1995). It is a landmark document which:
- sets out a comprehensive roadmap for achieving gender equality, women’s rights, and women’s empowerment;
- acknowledges that equality between women and men is a matter of human rights and a condition for social justice as well as a prerequisite for equality, development, and peace;
- calls for strategic action in 12 critical areas of concern for women globally among which women in power and decision-making; women and the economy; women and poverty; violence against women; human rights of women; education and training of women.
United Nations Security Council Resolution 1325
On October 31, 2000, the United Nations Security Council unanimously passed resolution 1325 on women, peace and security. This moment marks the first time that the Security Council devoted a full session to debating women and girls’ experiences during and after conflict. The resolution is a ground-breaking document which:
- addresses gender-specific impacts of conflict on women and girls;
- acknowledges the critical role women play in the prevention and resolution of conflicts and in peace-building;
- stresses the importance of women’s participation and involvement in all efforts for the maintenance and promotion of peace and security.
Stay tuned for our first event as part of the Gender Initiative 2020 (ETA June 2020)
Interviews & Publications
Stay tuned for our first publication as part of the Gender Initiative 2020