Job Description – Executive Director, YPFP
About YPFP - YPFP is an independent international affairs organization that engages, builds, and amplifies a global community of dynamic, diverse leaders from all sectors to accelerate their impact on critical global challenges. Founded in 2004, YPFP has grown from a small startup to a global nonprofit 501(c)3 registered and headquartered in Washington, DC, with chapters in Brussels, London, New York, San Francisco, and Toronto, and an expanding global presence around the world.
The Opportunity - YPFP is looking for an action-oriented, resourceful, entrepreneurial leader who is eager to drive strong organizational performance and ensure that YPFP delivers on its mission of building the leaders the world needs. The Executive Director reports to YPFP’s Board of Directors.
Key Responsibilities - Major responsibilities of the position include the following:
- Development and Fundraising: identify and cultivate prospective donors and partners; steward existing donors and partners; collaborate closely with Board on business development initiatives; expand and diversify revenue streams; apply for and manage grants; execute annual 450-person gala and fundraiser in DC
- Strategic Planning & Partnerships: provide vision and leadership to global operations; collaborate closely with Board to evaluate and reassess priorities and activities as needed; identify and develop opportunities for outreach and collaboration; identify priorities for membership and programmatic growth.
- Management: manage senior leadership team of 8-10 volunteer direct-reports based in DC; oversee and provide guidance and motivation to 150+ volunteers around the world; manage contract accountant and contract web developer and other professional services; manage undergraduate and graduate interns (3-4 annually)
- Finance, Governance, and Reporting: manage all financial reporting and taxes in
conjunction with accountant and Board treasurer, including monthly financial statements, quarterly financial analyses, and annual financial reports to Board and IRS;implement all necessary 501(c)3 governance policies and procedures; create and maintain an annual budget; provide monthly written reports to Board; provide quarterly in-person reports to Board
- Membership: design and execute a membership program that sustains a vibrant
community of engaged members; set and implement policies and procedures for membership and harmonize member policies around the world; implement appropriate technologies to collect, protect, and use membership data to advance the organization’s mission; collect revenue from membership dues
- Programming: directly manage flagship programs and high-profile events that advance YPFP’s mission; oversee and support volunteer-led events based in DC; oversee monitoring and evaluation of global events; ensure consistency, quality, and mission alignment across activities and brand.
- Communications/Outreach/Public Relations: represent YPFP at forums and events as appropriate to raise visibility; create, cultivate, and steward critical relationships with partners, donors, and members; oversee execution of membership campaigns; oversee weekly DC newsletters; oversee website design and content, manage social media strategy; develop and maintain strong networks within the international affairs community
Desirable Skills and Attributes - The ideal candidate will be someone who is:
- Committed to our mission of building the leaders the world needs and wants to engage our members, volunteers, Board, and donors as partners in this critical effort
- Energized when working in demanding, fast-paced environments where they have to balance competing priorities between strategic goals and immediate operations
- An excellent and authentic communicator who displays the right range of confidence, empathy, humility, and decisiveness
- Comfortable interacting with a wide range of stakeholders, from our volunteers to senior officials, business leaders, prospective donors, new members, and beyond
- A vocal advocate for diversity and inclusion in foreign policy and national security
- An empowering manager who demonstrates a willingness and ability to learn and hone skills that cut across YPFP’s diverse programs and needs
- Capable of resolving a bewildering array of issues, challenges, and questions, often with limited time and incomplete information
- Based in Washington, DC
- At least 5 years of professional experience, including managing complex projects
- Familiarity with international affairs and foreign policy
- Able to perform 50+ hours per week on YPFP initiatives, including regular meetings in the evening and on weekends
- Demonstrated ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced, start-up style environment
- Demonstrated initiative, excellent organizational skills, and strong attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent writing and communication skills; demonstrated ability to prepare diverse content (PPT decks, marketing materials, proposals, etc.) quickly
- Experience working with teams of various sizes, particularly volunteers
- Large-scale event planning experience
- Familiarity with managing an organization’s budget, including preparing quarterly reports and other information to enable informed financial decisions
- Integrity and commitment to modeling and upholding YPFP’s values
- Travel less than 10%
To Apply: Email email@example.com with your resume and a statement of interest that describes
why you want to be the Executive Director of YPFP (750 words or less). Salary commensurate with experience.
We are accepting applications and beginning interviews on a rolling basis.