YPFP is a global, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization founded in 2004 that helps energize foreign policy discussions by making diverse, cross-sector Next Generation voices more informed and influential. Headquartered in Washington, DC, YPFP has branches in New York, London, Brussels, San Francisco, and Toronto, and engages an expanding global community of over 20,000 individuals.
The Director of Communications and Marketing is responsible for implementing and maintaining a robust strategic organizational public relations program. Reporting directly to the Managing Director, the position is responsible for brand management and content distribution strategies, and external communications policies. The Director will also serve as the media relations expert to establish YPFP Toronto and its members by increasing the visibility of the organisation's programs, events, and initiatives in the larger foreign policy community.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Acts as the strategic lead for all media engagement.
- Manages strategic, proactive media outreach by identifying brand awareness opportunities.
- Identifies and suggests creative, efficient, and effective channels for engagement outside of traditional communications (e.g. op-eds, guest posts, special events, podcasts, etc.).
- Ensures the creation and sharing of content on a regular basis with the membership.
- Collaborates with the Events and Partnerships team to develop event promotion material.
- Collaborates with the Membership team to develop key messaging to new and existing members.
- Responsible for establishing and managing the branch’s style guidelines.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Passion for foreign policy and communications.
- Prior experience with graphic design.
- Ability to work effectively independently and as a highly resourceful team-player under pressure and within deadlines.
- Exceptional written, oral, proofreading, branding, design oversight, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- A creative and innovative thinker, who actively presents new opportunities, proposes solutions and recommends best practices.
Eligibility and Selection
- Ideally an early career policy professional or current graduate in a relevant field.
- Ability to respond to emails and messages in a timely manner.
- Self-motivated, organized, and able to work efficiently and autonomously as part of a small team.
- Good knowledge of global affairs.
- Well-spoken and able to represent YPFP at all levels.
- Ability to commit 5-10 hours per week (excluding attendance at team meetings, all-hands meetings, and other events).
- Position is unpaid and part-time.
Please note that YPFP staff must be dues-paying members of YPFP. You are not required to be a YPFP member to apply but must confirm membership to be accepted to the position.
Application Process: Please submit a CV and cover letter detailing qualifications and experience at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Director of Communications and Marketing – YPFP Toronto”. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Interested candidates are advised to apply early.