About YPFP - YPFP is an independent international affairs organization that engages, builds, and amplifies a global community of dynamic, diverse leaders from all sectors to accelerate their impact on critical global challenges. Founded in 2004, YPFP has grown from a small startup to a global nonprofit 501(c)3 registered and headquartered in Washington, DC, with chapters in Brussels, London, New York, San Francisco, and Toronto, and an expanding global presence around the world.
The Opportunity - YPFP-DC is recruiting for a Director, Discussion Group Program, in a voluntary capacity, with a minimum commitment of one year. This is an opportunity to join the YPFP team in Washington, DC. You will have the space to develop your own ideas, learn, drive change, and make a contribution to our community of more than 1,000 members. The Director leads the Discussion Group Program, serves as a member of YPFP’s senior leadership group, and works directly with YPFP executive leadership.
Discussion Group Program - YPFP’s Discussion Group Program provides an intimate forum for members to exchange ideas, express their views, and build their knowledge of critical foreign policy issues in a small community setting. The Program comprises regionally- and topically-focused Discussion Groups (DGs), each composed of 10-30 members with significant interest and/or experience in the area under discussion. DGs allow members to learn, share new perspectives, and engage with a small, elite community of professionals who share similar passions in foreign policy.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Directly oversee the day-to-day operations of the DG Program including:
- Routing incoming inquiries to applicable DG Chairs;
- Soliciting ideas for new programs, DG member-engagement, and external partnerships;
- Conducting routine check-ins with 20+ Chairs and following-up on progress;
- Facilitating collaboration among DG Chairs, between DG Chairs, and other teams across YPFP; and
- Assisting DG Chairs with external engagement and speaker outreach as needed.
- Recruit, train, mentor, and support all DG Chairs.
- Socialize YPFP’s DC calendar of events at monthly Chair check-ins.
- Collaborate with leaders of other YPFP teams to integrate activities with strategic organizational goals.
- Update the executive team of any issues or concerns that may arise.
Eligibility and Requirements
- Self-motivated, organized, and able to work efficiently and autonomously as part of a small team
- Good knowledge of global affairs
- Commit 5-10 hours per week (excluding attendance at events and meetings)
- Attend regular senior leadership meetings
- Well-spoken and able to represent YPFP at all levels
- Live, work, or study in or near Washington, DC
Please note that YPFP is a volunteer-based organization. All staff members are non-remunerated volunteers, giving up their time alongside their own professional activity.
Please also note that YPFP staff must be dues-paying members of YPFP. You are not required to be a YPFP member to apply, but must confirm membership to be accepted to the position.
Application Process: Please send a short cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject and heading: DG Director Application.