About YPFP - YPFP is an independent international affairs organization that engages, builds, and amplifies a global community of dynamic, diverse leaders from all sectors to accelerate their impact on critical global challenges. Founded in 2004, YPFP has grown from a small startup to a global nonprofit 501(c)3 registered and headquartered in Washington, DC, with chapters in Brussels, London, New York, San Francisco, and Toronto, and an expanding global presence around the world.
YPFP’s Discussion Group Program - YPFP's Discussion Groups are peer-led communities that offer selected members an opportunity to connect with other young professionals who share a depth of experience in a particular region or subject. Each Discussion Group (DG) serves as a focal point within YPFP to promote thoughtful engagement through monthly private meetings and occasional public activities. Members present original research for internal critique, host guest speakers, analyze current events, and host dinners at each other’s homes. Equal parts academic symposium and coffee shop debate, members set the agenda, drive the conversation, and address the issues that matter to them most.
The Opportunity - YPFP is looking for an enthusiastic networker, passionate about YPFP’s Discussion Group program and eager to grow its membership, and enhance collaboration and information-sharing across teams. This is an opportunity to hone professional outreach, recruitment, public speaking, and community engagement skills while operating in a fast-paced global non-profit, largely operationalized by volunteers. This volunteer role requires availability outside traditional business hours, and the ability to attend YPFP events and Discussion Group activities, or related engagement meetings or calls on weekday nights and weekends.
- Works autonomously, with support from the Discussion Group Director, to represent the YPFP Discussion Group program at YPFP New Member Orientations, Happy Hours, events, and other major YPFP functions, including the Gala. Conduct outreach, recruitment, and engage YPFP members in learning more about, joining YPFP Discussion Group(s), and/or applying for leadership roles within the Program. Answering member questions, and connecting members with Discussion Group Chairs/Co-Chairs and/or the Director as needed.
- Work closely with, and under the guidance of, the Discussion Group Director to build community within the YPFP Discussion Group Program, including, but not limited to enhancing information flow and connectivity across Discussion Group leads, and welcoming and introducing new YPFP members to the Discussion Group program.
- Support the Discussion Group Director in organizing meetings of the Discussion Group Chairs/Co-Chairs, including event logistics, preparations, action items, and notes.
- Attend YPFP Discussion Group meetings as needed or requested to support groups, particularly in support of teams in need of leadership support, including the possibility to help ensure group continuity during DG leadership transitions.
- Support the Discussion Group Director in responding to Chair/Co-Chair inquiries or requests for assistance, and/or member inquiries and requests, including to create new Discussion Groups.
- Support the Discussion Group Director in making operational improvements to the Discussion Group program and its systems, and designing and implementing systems and communications improvements.
Desired Skills & Attributes:
- Enthusiasm for YPFP’s Discussion Group program, representing it publicly, and conducting outreach and recruitment for its membership.
- Prior experience within or knowledge of YPFP Discussion Group(s) preferred.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, extroversion, and the ability to motivate and inspire others to join and remain engaged in the YPFP Discussion Group program, and/or voluntary roles related to it.
- Self-directed, ability to work autonomously, and juggle multiple priorities concurrently.
- Interest and ability to attend YPFP events and perform YPFP activities on weekday evenings and weekends.
- Outstanding decision-making ability, impeccable professionalism and excellent communication skills, including public speaking.
- Prior experience with Wild Apricot and/or WordPress and/or Google Suite preferred.
Please note that YPFP is a volunteer-based organization. All staff members are non-remunerated volunteers, giving up their time alongside their own professional activity.
Please also note that YPFP staff must be dues-paying members of YPFP. You are not required to be a YPFP member to apply, but must confirm membership to be accepted to the position.
Eligibility & Requirements:
- Based in Washington, DC.
- Self-motivated, organized, and enthusiastic about YPFP. Capable of working independently and autonomously, yet in close communication with the Director of YPFP’s Discussion Group program.
- Integrity and commitment to modeling and upholding YPFP’s values.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced, start-up style environment.
- This unpaid, volunteer position requires a minimum commitment of 5 hours per week.
- This position requires attending events and participating in conference calls and meetings on weekday evenings and on weekends.
To Apply: Please send your resume and letter of interest explaining why you want to be the Discussion Group Community Engagement Manager of YPFP to Jennifer.perron[at]ypfp.org, with the subject heading Discussion Group Community Engagement Manager Application.
Priority Consideration Given To Applications received by March 15, 2020