About YPFP - YPFP is an independent international affairs organization that engages, builds, and amplifies a global community of dynamic, diverse leaders from all sectors to accelerate their impact on critical global challenges. Founded in 2004, YPFP has grown from a small startup to a global nonprofit 501(c)3 registered and headquartered in Washington, DC, with chapters in Brussels, London, New York, San Francisco, and Toronto, and an expanding global presence around the world.
The Opportunity - YPFP-DC is seeking a Newsletter Editor to manage the organization’s flagship newsletter, the YPFP Ambassador. The newsletter goes out weekly to 5k global members and non-members and is primarily focused on D.C.-based events and opportunities. This position is in a voluntary capacity with a minimum commitment of one year. The Newsletter Editor reports to the Communications Director. You can subscribe to the YPFP Ambassador here: https://www.ypfp.org/subscribe/
This is an excellent opportunity to fulfill a vital role in YPFP, become familiar with its daily operations, and liaise with top-level leadership in the organization; to make connections with the many organizations and individuals who wish to share opportunities in the D.C. newsletter; and to become a resource on foreign policy-related events and opportunities in the D.C. area.
- Write and design weekly newsletter delivered every Tuesday morning, with a draft sent to senior leadership by Sunday to allow time for internal review.
- Research upcoming foreign policy-related events, job openings, and other opportunities in the D.C. area, as well as trivia, recipes, and historical events on the day of publication.
- Liaise with advertisers wishing to share their opportunities in the newsletter; negotiate ad rates when necessary; cultivate relationships where possible.
- Monitor data analytics and audience feedback to understand what is working in order to continuously improve the product.
- Copyedit, check hyperlinks, and put finishing touches on the newsletter to make it a professional-looking product.
- Attend monthly one-hour meetings with the Communications Team and quarterly all-staff meetings.
Desired Skills & Attributes:
- Superb writing, editing, and creative skills.
- Outstanding attention to detail; copyediting skills.
- Strong track record of meeting deadlines.
- An awareness of and interest in foreign policy.
- Comfort editing photos.
- Comfort with Wild Apricot or similar web design system.
Eligibility & Requirements:
- Based in Washington, DC
- This position requires a minimum commitment of 5 hours per week and the ability to respond to email inquiries within 24 hours under normal circumstances.
Application Process - Please send a short cover letter and resume to email@example.com, with the subject and heading: Newsletter Editor Application.