About YPFP - YPFP is an independent international affairs organization that engages, builds, and amplifies a global community of dynamic, diverse leaders from all sectors to accelerate their impact on critical global challenges. Founded in 2004, YPFP has grown from a small startup to a global nonprofit 501(c)3 registered and headquartered in Washington, DC, with chapters in Brussels, London, New York, San Francisco, and Toronto, and an expanding global presence around the world.
The Opportunity - YPFP-DC is recruiting for a Deputy Programs Director, in a voluntary capacity, with a minimum commitment of one year. This is an opportunity to join the YPFP team in Washington, DC. You will have the space to develop your own ideas, learn, drive change, and make a contribution to our community of more than 1,000 members. The Deputy Director works with the Programs Director to lead the Events Team and serves as a member of YPFP’s senior leadership group.
Events Team - YPFP is recognized for holding lectures, roundtables, workshops and intimate gatherings with renowned foreign policy leaders. Our past speakers include the Hon. Michèle Flournoy, Adm. Michael Mullen, former governor Jon Huntsman, Amb. Susan Rice, Amb. Thomas Pickering, Bob Woodward, Joseph Stiglitz, John Hamre, Steve Coll, Ian Bremmer, and former DNI John Negroponte. The Events Team is responsible for delivering quality events to engage YPFP members.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the events team including:
- Routing incoming inquiries to applicable events managers;
- Soliciting ideas for new programs, member-engagement, and external partnerships;
- Conducting biweekly staff meetings and following up on progress;
- Assisting events managers with external engagement and speaker outreach as needed; and
- Acting as the final quality assurance point for the publishing of event pages and announcements.
- Assist the Director to develop and implement an annual programs strategy and events timeline
- Recruit, train, mentor, and support events team members.
- Socialize and schedule YPFP’s DC calendar of events
- Build and maintain a calendar of events and coordinate speakers sometimes several months or only a few weeks before the date of an event.
- Collaborate with leaders of other YPFP Departments (e.g. Membership, Communications) and teams to integrate events activities, scheduling, and topics with strategic organizational goals.
Eligibility and Requirements
- 1-2 years of event or project management experience preferred
- Self-motivated, organized, and able to work efficiently and autonomously as part of a small team
- Good knowledge of global affairs
- Commit 10-12 hours per week (excluding attendance at events and meetings)
- Available for meetings and events on weeknights (after 5:30/6:00 pm) and weekends
- Well-spoken and able to represent YPFP at all levels
- Live, work, or study in or near Washington, DC
Please note that YPFP is a volunteer-based organization. All staff members are non-remunerated volunteers, giving up their time alongside their own professional activity.
Please also note that YPFP staff must be dues-paying members of YPFP. You are not required to be a YPFP member to apply, but must confirm membership to be accepted to the position.
Application Process - Please send a short cover letter and resume to email@example.com, with the subject and heading: Programs Director Application.