We are looking for candidates interested in honing their creative skills who are eager to develop their own ideas, learn, drive change, and make a contribution to our community. This position will support in stewarding vision, strategy, and brand for the team and wider organization, working under the direct management of the Director of Communications to develop and enhance YPFP’s presence across traditional and digital media and with relevant stakeholders.
This is an opportunity to join the growing team of YPFP and be part of an engaged global community of young professionals interested in global issues. This position requires approximately 5 hours per week and successful candidates will be able to make at least a one-year commitment on the role.
The communications team is comprised of volunteer staff who manage YPFP’s graphic design, public relations, and social media. The team addresses both day-to-day externally facing communication needs of the organization as well as long-term, global strategy.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Work alongside YPFP staff and members to brainstorm ideas on content;
- Contribute new ideas on how to increase the profile of YPFP;
- Take on creative, ad-hoc projects within the Communications team;
- Assist in management of the YPFP social media accounts, including engagement with external stakeholders and members;
- Implement and execute social media strategy to build followers and fans;
- Support strategic vision for YPFP's communications activities;
- Provide reporting on progress toward communications objectives and short, medium, and long-term strategic goals;
- Collaborate with senior leaders across all teams to ensure that YPFP events, initiatives, and membership benefits are promoted effectively;
- Utilizes social media, such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and other emerging media platforms to engage existing members and social media participants as well as to attract new members.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Excellent project and team management skills;
- Attention to detail to ensure quality products are delivered on various outlets;
- Positive, can-do attitude with an openness to effectively serving other teams;
- Eagerness to work with others and generate new, creative ideas;
- Experience and/or interest in managing press relations, social media, digital marketing, graphic design, and/or branding;
- Interest in and comfortable with using social/new media and technology applications;
- Experience and proficiency with Hootsuite, Adobe Creative Suite, WordPress, and Canva a plus.
Eligibility and Selection:
- Ideally an early career policy professional or current graduate student in a relevant field;
- Resident of the Washington DC area;
- Ability to respond to emails and messages in a timely manner;
- Self-motivated, organized, and able to work efficiently and autonomously as part of a small team;
- Good knowledge of global affairs;
- Well-spoken and able to represent YPFP at all levels;
- Ability to commit to 5 hours per week (excluding attendance at communications team meetings, all-hands meetings, and other events);
- Position is unpaid and part-time.
Please also note that YPFP staff must be dues-paying members of YPFP. You are not required to be a YPFP member to apply, but must confirm membership to be accepted to the position. Preference will be given to candidates who are willing to commit to the position for at least one year.
Application Process: Please send a short cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject and heading: Communications/Social Media Officer Application.