About YPFP - YPFP is an independent international affairs organization that engages, builds, and amplifies a global community of dynamic, diverse leaders from all sectors to accelerate their impact on critical global challenges. Founded in 2004, YPFP has grown from a small startup to a global nonprofit 501(c)3 registered and headquartered in Washington, DC, with chapters in Brussels, London, New York, San Francisco, and Toronto, and an expanding global presence around the world.
The Opportunity - YPFP-DC is looking for a Communications Director, in a voluntary capacity, with a minimum commitment of one year. This is an opportunity to join the YPFP team in Washington, DC. You will have the space to develop your own ideas, learn, drive change, and make a contribution to our community of more than 1,000 members. The Director leads the DC communications team, serves as a member of YPFP’s senior leadership group, and works directly with YPFP executive leadership.
Communications Team - The communications team is comprised of volunteer staff who manage YPFP’s graphic design, public relations, and social media. The team addresses both day-to-day externally facing communication needs of the organization as well as long-term, global strategy.
- Develop and execute strategic vision for YPFP's global communications activities
- Oversee volunteer staff and work directly with team leads to ensure functions such as social media, marketing materials production, and public relations are supported (this includes filling in crucial day-to-day functions in the absence of any given support staff)
- Monitor daily operations and report on progress toward communications objectives
- Collaborate with senior staff volunteers across all departments to ensure that YPFP events, initiatives, and general membership benefits are promoted widely.
Desirable Skills and Attributes
- Excellent project and team management skills
- Previous experience managing volunteers a plus
- Passion for creating a community of peers interested in international relations
- Attention to detail to ensure quality products are delivered on various outlets
- Positive, can-do attitude with an openness to effectively serving other teams
- Professional experience managing press relations, social media, digital marketing, graphic design, and/or branding is highly desired
- Experience and proficiency with Hootsuite, Adobe Creative Suite, and Canva a plus
- Experience with Google Analytics and Google Adwords a plus
- Ability to attend regular evening senior staff meetings
- Ability to lead communications team meetings (minimum of one per month)
Eligibility and Requirements
- Self-motivated, organized, and able to work efficiently and autonomously as part of a small team
- Good knowledge of global affairs
- Commit 10 hours per week (excluding attendance at events and meetings)
- Attend regular senior leadership meetings
- Well-spoken and able to represent YPFP at all levels
- Live, work, or study in or near Washington, DC
Please note that YPFP is a volunteer-based organization. All staff members are non-remunerated volunteers, giving up their time alongside their own professional activity.
Please also note that YPFP staff must be dues-paying members of YPFP. You are not required to be a YPFP member to apply, but must confirm membership to be accepted to the position.
Application Process: Please send a short cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject and heading: Communications Director Application.