Staff Opening: COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR
Please note that all YPFP New York staff positions are unpaid and on a volunteer basis.
YPFP is a nonpartisan network of over 20,000 emerging global leaders who energize foreign policy discussions by making diverse, cross-sector NextGen voices more informed and influential. We promote innovation in international affairs by inspiring, training, and connecting the next generation of global leaders. YPFP believes that today’s most pressing global challenges can most effectively be addressed by nonpartisan, multinational solutions.
The Communications Director is responsible for the strategic direction of the Communications Team and works closely with the Deputy Communications Director on the day-to-day implementation of the Communications Team’s management and operations. He/she will work closely together to ensure that all tasks are assigned to communications team members, support is given where needed, and follow-through happens to ensure task completion.
This position requires approximately 10-15 hours a week, and successful candidates will be able to make at least a one-year commitment to the role. The Programming Director reports directly to the Executive Director of the New York chapter.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Work to refine and tweak the overarching communications strategy and planning.
- Ensure Deputy Communications Director is successful in the tactical implementation of strategy on day-to-day level, working with Communications Team staff to execute plans.
- Assign Communications Team staff to events so that promotion and/or coverage is published in a timely manner.
- Attend and report team status updates during quarterly All Staff meetings.
- Schedule and lead Communications Team meetings.
- Represent Communications Team at events whenever possible.
- Obtain regular reports from team staff on progress and needs.
- Other responsibilities as may be necessary to deliver on YPFP’s strategic global and local objectives.
- Ability to work remotely and on a flexible schedule is important, as YPFP NY does not have a physical office, and communications output must often be aligned with the timing of events, promotions, coverage, etc.
- Based in New York
- Ideally 1-2 years of communications experience
- Understanding of marketing, promotional planning, and public relations field highly desirable.
- Excellent management skills, demonstrated leadership experience, a track record of personal initiative, and proven ability to lead a volunteer team
- Outstanding interpersonal and cross-organizational communications skills
- A demonstrable interest in foreign affairs / international relations
- Highly responsive to email and available for events and meetings on weeknights (after 5:30/6:00pm) and weekends
- The ability to respond to email inquiries within 24 hours under normal circumstances
Eligibility and Selection:
Please note that candidates must be dues-paying members of YPFP and located in the greater New York area. You are not required to be a YPFP member to apply but must confirm membership to be accepted to the position.
This role includes a three-month probationary period, at which stage continued involvement with the position will be reviewed and continued involvement
To apply, please send a cover letter and your resume to email@example.com, with the subject and heading: Communications Director.