Communications Manager, New York City
Staff Opening: COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER
Please note that all YPFP New York staff positions are unpaid and on a volunteer basis.
YPFP is a nonpartisan network of over 20,000 emerging global leaders who energize foreign policy discussions by making diverse, cross-sector NextGen voices more informed and influential. We promote innovation in international affairs by inspiring, training, and connecting the next generation of global leaders. YPFP believes that today’s most pressing global challenges can most effectively be addressed by nonpartisan, multinational solutions.
As part of the communications team, the Communications Manager will be responsible for drafting the weekly newsletter, sending out event emails, liaising with the Social Media Manager to ensure effective events promotion, and work with team leadership on broader communications strategy and specific initiatives.
This position requires approximately 5 hours a week, and successful candidates will be able to make at least a one-year commitment to the role. The Communications Manager reports directly to the Communications Director of the New York chapter.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Work with the Communications Director on the weekly newsletter, and event emails are sent in a timely manner
- Work alongside YPFP NY Communication Director to brainstorm ideas on content and how to improve communications with members
- Think creatively about broader strategy, including different content and formatting for the newsletter to increase open and click rates, event promotion, etc.
- Attend YPFP events and staff meetings
- Collaborate with Communications Team to prepare updates for All Staff meetings
- Work on other ad-hoc projects within the YPFP NY Communications team
- Ability to work remotely and on a flexible schedule is important, as YPFP NY does not have a physical office, and communications output must often be aligned with the timing of events, promotions, coverage, etc.
- Based in the New York area
- Ideally 1-2 years of communications experience
- Understanding of event marketing, promotional planning, and email marketing
- Excellent management skills, demonstrated leadership experience, a track record of personal initiative, and proven ability to help lead a volunteer team
- Outstanding interpersonal and cross-organizational communications skills
- A demonstrable interest in foreign affairs / international relations
- Responsive to email and available for events and meetings on weeknights (after 5:30/6:00 pm) and weekends
Eligibility and Selection:
Please note that candidates must be dues-paying members of YPFP and located in the greater New York area. You are not required to be a YPFP member to apply but must confirm membership to be accepted to the position.
This role includes a three-month probationary period, at which stage continued involvement with the position will be reviewed and continued involvement
To apply, please send a cover letter and your resume to the Communications Director, firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject Communications Manager Application. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.