The application for the 2024 Y7 Summit - US delegation opens December 24th, 2023
The deadline is January 7th 2024, 11:59pm EST
The Y7 is a leadership summit that convenes young professionals from G7 countries to develop policy solutions to current global challenges.
This year’s Y7 Summit will take place on May 20-24, 2024, in Rome, Italy, and the official organizing entity is YAS Italy. Note, that the U.S. Y7 and Y20 delegations do not represent the U.S. federal government in any capacity. YPFP will select four American delegates to represent American youth voices at the Y7 summit.
The Y7 Organizing Committee, YAS Italy, will provide all in-country accommodations (local transportation, lodging, and meals) during the summit (if it will be in person). All delegates are responsible for arranging, booking, and covering the costs of their travel to and from Rome.
The priorities of 2024 Y7 are:
- Environmental Sustainability and Energy Transition
- Innovation and Digital Transformation
- New Skills, Entrepreneurship, and the Future of Work
- Inclusion and Equal Opportunities
American delegate requirements:
- Must be a U.S. citizen and have a U.S. passport.
- Age 22-30 as of May 2024.
- Applicants must be university graduates or working towards a degree relevant to Y7 2024 priority areas. It is highly recommended that applicants have working or volunteering experience as well as previous experience & representation in global fora and summits.
Note: U.S. federal government employees are not eligible to apply.
Questions or concerns? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
2024 Y7 Application Process
Please read and follow the instructions carefully. We suggest you prepare all of your materials PRIOR to completing your application. You will not be able to save and return to the form.
Deadline to register and submit the application: 11:59 PM EST on January 7th, 2024. The registration fee is $25 for non-YPFP members and will be waived for YPFP members. You must register in order to retrieve the link to the 2024 Y7 application.
After you register and/or pay the processing fee, you will receive a confirmation email with a link to the application. The application will require you to submit:
1. 1-2 page Resume/CV
2. Situational Statement - 500 words or less
Y7 delegates will be asked to negotiate policy solutions, draft recommendations, and engage with diverse delegates from the other G7 countries. In representing American youth at the summit, you will engage with delegates who propose policies that would not be beneficial for American youth and/or delegates with opposing attitudes about the United States. Answer these two questions in your statement:
- Describe how you would diplomatically and effectively engage your peers to ensure policy compromises are reached? Use an example of a policy proposal that you care about that overlaps with one of the Y7 priority areas to guide your answer (can be found at the top of this page).
- How would others describe your ability to diplomatically and effectively address conflict or differences of opinion? Give an example of this in action.
3. Short Responses - (100 words or less each)
- Why do you want to join the 2024 Y7 American delegation?
- What are two or three skills sets/experiences you believe you would contribute to the team?
- U.S. Y7 delegates represent American youth voices at home and abroad. How would you go about collecting youth concerns and ideas so that the delegation is able to articulate the diverse perspectives of American youth?
- How do you plan to share this experience with other young people in your community?
4) A scanned copy of your passport page showing your photo, age, and citizenship status.
These four aspects of your application should be saved in one full file. Save the file as First and Last Name_statements in .pdf format. We recommend pdfcandy.com for all support in merging/organizing/combining your application aspects.
After the delegates are chosen, all application materials submitted with be deleted from our servers.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I apply to be a 2024 Y7 and Y20 delegate? Yes, you may apply to both. However, you must complete the application for each and submit the registration fee separately.
What are the dates of the 2024 Y7 Summit and when do I need to arrive? May 19, 2024. All local coordination will be organized by YAS Italy.
What accommodations are paid for while in Rome? If in person, YAS Italy will cover costs for meals, lodging, and transportation related to the summit.
Do I have to pay for my flight? Yes. All delegates must plan and pay for their flights.
What criteria will be used to review applications: The youth summit selection committee will review each application for accuracy (e.g. did the applicant follow all of the instructions?), grammar, specified requirements, and the following attributes:
- Intellectual Curiosity – Demonstrates a history of learning about international affairs/foreign policy;
- Leadership Experience – Demonstrates advancement and growth in their personal and/or professional life;
- Written Communication – The resume/CV and all statements articulate applicants' knowledge and experience;
- Multicultural Competence – Some exposure to diverse people, cultures, and societies either at work, school or in their personal lives.
Is foreign policy/national security experience required to apply? No, but highly recommended.
What happens after the summit? U.S. delegates may submit a joint article about their summit experience and/or policy recommendations. Delegations are expected to promulgate the final communiqué with their professional and personal networks.