The application for the 2022 Y7 Summit - US delegation opens January 2nd, 2022
The deadline is January 31st 2022, 11:59pm EST
The Y7 is a leadership summit that convenes young professionals from G7 countries to develop policy solutions to current global challenges.
This year’s Y7 Summit will take place in May 2022, in Berlin, Germany, and the official organizing entity is Future Leaders Network (FLN). Note, the U.S. Y7 and Y20 delegation does not represent the U.S. federal government in any capacity. YPFP will select four American delegates to represent American youth voices.
The Y7 Organizing Committee, FLN, will provide all in-country accommodations (local transportation, lodging, and meals) during the course of the summit (if it will be in person). All delegates are responsible for arranging, booking, and covering the costs of their travel to and from Berlin.
The priorities of 2022 Y7 are:
- Digital and Technology
- Global Economy
American delegate requirements:
- Must be a U.S. citizen and have a U.S. passport.
- Age 22-30 as of May 2022.
- Applicants must be university graduates or working towards a degree relevant to Y7 2022 priority areas. It is highly recommended that applicants have working or volunteering experience as well as previous experience & representation in global fora and summits.
Note: U.S. federal government employees are not eligible to apply.
If you are not familiar with the Y7, browse through the previous Y7 summits, such as Y7 USA website, and review our Frequently Asked Questions below.
Questions or concerns? Email email@example.com
2022 Y7 Application Process
Please read and follow the instructions carefully. We suggest you prepare all of your materials PRIOR to completing your application. You will not be able to save and return to the form.
Deadline to register and submit the application: 11:59 PM EST on January 17th, 2022. The registration fee is $25 for non-YPFP members and will be waived for YPFP members. You must register in order to retrieve the link to the 2022 Y7 application.
After you register and/or pay the processing fee, you will receive a confirmation email with a link to the application. The application will require you to submit:
1. 1-2 page Resume/CV
2. Situational Statement - 500 words or less
Y7 delegates will be asked to negotiate policy solutions, draft recommendations, and engage with diverse delegates from the other G7 countries. In representing American youth at the summit, you will engage with delegates who propose policies that would not be beneficial for American youth and/or delegates with opposing attitudes about the United States. Answer these two questions in your statement:
- Describe how you would diplomatically and effectively engage your peers to ensure policy compromises are reached? Use an example of a policy proposal that you care about that overlaps with one of the Y7 priority areas to guide your answer (can be found at the top of this page).
- How would others describe your ability to diplomatically and effectively address conflict or differences of opinion? Give an example of this in action.
3. Short Responses - (100 words or less each)
- Why do you want to join the 2022 Y7 American delegation?
- What are two or three skills sets/experiences you believe you would contribute to the team?
- U.S. Y7 delegates represent American youth voices at home and abroad. How would you go about collecting youth concerns and ideas so that the delegation is able to articulate the diverse perspectives of American youth?
- How do you plan to share this experience with other young people in your community?
Your resume, situation statement, and short responses should be saved together in 1 file. Save the file as FIRSTNAME_LASTNAME_statements
4. Scanned copy of your passport page showing your photo, age, and citizenship status. Save the file as FIRSTNAME_LASTNAME_passport
5. Scanned copy of your COVID vaccination card. If in-person, entry requirements into Germany will require a COVID vaccine and a negative PCR test taken (at most) 3 days before travel. Save the file as FIRSTNAME_LASTNAME_vaccination
After the delegates are chosen, all application materials submitted with be deleted from our servers.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I apply to be a 2022 Y7 and Y20 delegate? Yes. However, you must complete the application for each (all three portions) and submit the registration fee separately.
What are the dates of the 2022 Y7 Summit and when do I need to arrive? May 2022. All coordination will be organized by FLN.
What accommodations are paid for while in Berlin? If in person, FLN will cover costs for meals, lodging, and transportation related to the summit.
Do I have to pay for my flight? Yes. All delegates must plan and pay for their own flights.
What criteria will be used to review applications: The youth summit selection committee will review each application for accuracy (e.g. did the applicant follow all of the instructions?), grammar, specified requirements, and the following attributes:
- Intellectual Curiosity – Demonstrates a history of learning about international affairs/foreign policy;
- Leadership Experience – Demonstrates advancement and growth in their personal and/or professional life;
- Written Communication – Resume and all statements clearly articulate applicants' knowledge and experience;
- Multicultural Competence – Some exposure to diverse people, cultures, and societies either at work, school, or in their personal life.
Is foreign policy/national security experience required in order to apply? No, but highly recommended.
What happens after the summit? U.S. delegates will submit a joint article about their summit experience and/or policy recommendations.