YPFP-NY is seeking a director of communications to join its all-volunteer staff on a part time basis.
Director of Communications
Young Professionals in Foreign Policy (YPFP) is committed to fostering the next generation of foreign policy leaders by providing its members with the knowledge, skills, exposure, and relationships they will need to tackle critical global challenges over the course of their careers. YPFP is a dynamic, global, nonpartisan, non-profit organization with over 10,000 selected members around the world who work in all fields of international affairs. YPFP was established in 2004 and is headquartered in Washington, DC, with branches in Brussels, London, New York, Puerto Rico, Rome, San Francisco, Tel Aviv, and Toronto.
Young Professionals in Foreign Policy’s New York branch (YPFP-NY) is seeking a director of communications to join its all-volunteer staff on a part time basis.
About YPFP-NY’s Communications Department:
The YPFP-NY Communications team is responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive communications and marketing strategy for branding, messaging, member engagement, and media outreach for YPFP’s New York branch. The team manages YPFP-NY’s social media channels, website, e-newsletters, and other member communications and works to enhance YPFP’s brand across the New York metro area.
The Communications Director will lead and manage YPFP-NY’s Communications Department staff and will oversee all departmental activities. Additionally, the Communications Director will serve as the main point of contact for other departments on all communications-related matters, and will lead the creation and implementation of both short- and long-term communications strategic goals.
The position reports to the YPFP-NY executive team, made up of an executive director and a managing director.
Note that this is a part-time, volunteer position.
- Drafting of press alerts, press releases, branch announcements, and other member communications.
- Building relationships both inside and outside of the organization to build YPFP-NY’s brand.
- Overseeing YPFP-NY’s outreach to media organizations and journalists.
- Developing and implement strategic goals that fit in with the institutional goals of the YPFP-NY branch.
- Overseeing the maintenance and updating of YPFP-NY’s social media channels, LinkedIn page, website, and other online resources.
- Fielding inquiries from press.
- Managing YPFP-NY’s original content projects/initiatives.
- Serving as the point of contact for global YPFP communications efforts.
- Overseeing all member outreach materials, including event announcements, e-newsletters, and other communications materials.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Proven ability to lead a dynamic and fast-paced team. Prior management experience preferred.
- Ability to write and communicate clearly and succinctly, with an eye toward capturing attention and maximizing impact.
- An interest or proven ability in working with the media. Media contacts a plus.
- Experience with digital media platforms, including web, social media and email marketing/e-newsletters.
- Utmost professionalism in working with partner organizations, outside contacts, and media relations and upholding the YPFP brand as a professional membership organization.
- Strong organizational skills, including effective work-flow management.
- Ability to identify and build new relationships to further YPFP-NY’s brand.
- Experience working in global, multicultural, and/or international contexts a plus.
- A high degree of initiative and independence is preferred.
- Availability to attend events and meetings on weekday evenings and on weekends in New York City with advance notice is preferred. Note that YPFP-NY events and meetings typically occur outside normal business hours. We encourage staff members to attend YPFP-NY events as much as possible in addition to fulfilling their staff duties.
Eligibility and Selection:
Please submit a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Please note that the selected candidate must be a dues-paying member of YPFP. While you are not required to be a YPFP member at the time of applying, you must confirm membership to be accepted to the position. Eligible candidates must be based in New York City or the surrounding area.