YPFP believes there is an urgent need for NextGen voices to immediately and positively influence today’s critical foreign policy challenges. Our events are carefully designed to assist our members in the ideation process and to help them determine where to focus their efforts for maximum impact.
YPFP’s Programs Department designs, leads, and oversees YPFP’s extensive member programming opportunities including the Refugee Assistance Program (RAP), YPFP's annual Affairs of State Gala and Fundraiser, and exclusive member events. YPFP events inform perspectives, challenge established foreign policy paradigms, and develop our members’ professional skills to amplify NextGen voices.
The Vice President, Programs serves as a member of YPFP’s Senior Staff and is the primary manager of the Programs Department’s operations. He or she has extensive responsibility for guiding, creating, and implementing a strategic vision and long-term plan for the Department.
The successful candidate will display strong leadership skills, with an emphasis on the ability to motivate peers, the capability to think broadly and strategically while remaining attentive to details, possess outstanding communications skills, and show a passion for maintaining YPFP’s reputation in the foreign policy community as an organization with unrivaled programming offerings.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Directly oversee the day-to-day operations of the Programs Department including:
- Routing incoming inquiries to applicable directors;
- Soliciting ideas for new programs, member-engagement, and external partnerships;
- Conducting biweekly checkins with the Director of Events and following up on progress;
- Leading monthly departmental staff meetings;
- Ensuring event proposals reflect strategic objectives of organization; and,
- Acting as the final quality assurance point for correspondence leaving the organization from the department.
- Recruit, train, mentor, and support all Programs staff.
- Evaluate, streamline, and build the capacity of the Programs Department infrastructure.
- Maintain a department-wide calendar.
- Create, in conjunction with Executive Leadership, an operational plan that reflects the YPFP mission and Programs Department goals.
- Collaborate with leaders of other YPFP Departments and teams to integrate Programs activities with YPFP-wide strategic goals.
- Serve on YPFP's Senior Staff, which is collectively responsible for strategic planning, coordination, implementation of policy, and execution of programs for YPFP.
- Provide counsel and guidance on Programs efforts in YPFP’s New York, London, and Brussels branches, working with Programs staff in each branch as needed.
- Track and report on progress against the department’s operational plan and YPFP’s strategic plans.
Eligibility and Requirements:
- Based in Washington, DC.
- Professional experience in international affairs, communications, and/or strategic planning is desired.
- Excellent management skills, demonstrated leadership experience, a track record of personal initiative, and proven ability to lead a volunteer team.
- Excellent interpersonal and cross-organizational communications skills.
- Ability to attend senior staff meetings.
- Ability to lead and organize department meetings at a minimum of once per month.
- Highly responsive to email and available for meetings and events on weeknights (after 5:30/6:00pm) and weekends.
- This position requires a minimum commitment of 20 hours per week and the ability to respond to email inquiries within 24 hours under normal circumstances.
Eligibility and Selection:
Please note that candidates must be dues paying members of YPFP and located in the greater Washington, DC area. You are not required to be a YPFP member to apply, but must confirm membership to be accepted to the position.
To begin the application process please send a cover letter and your resume to email@example.com, with the subject and heading: VP Programs Application.