Young Professionals in Foreign Policy (YPFP) is committed to fostering the next generation of foreign policy leaders by providing its members with the knowledge, skills, exposure, and relationships they will need to tackle critical global challenges over the course of their careers. YPFP is a dynamic, global, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization with 10,000 selected members around the world who work in all fields of international affairs. It was established in 2004, and is headquartered in Washington, DC, with branches in Brussels, London, and New York.
The Membership Center of Activity (CoA) bears responsibility for the heart and soul of YPFP: our members. Functions of the Membership CoA include maintaining and expanding membership benefits, membership data analytics, recruiting new members and retaining members year to year, coordinating quarterly New Member Orientations, our global membership expansion, and management of the Future Professionals tier. The Membership CoA also coordinates with the Global Leaders Executive Committee.
The Vice President, Membership oversees the volunteers and teams that comprise the entire Membership CoA, including the Managing Director of Membership, to ensure that they are supported and empowered to achieve the objectives of the CoA. Specific functions include:
- Overseeing and working with Director, Member Recruitment to execute membership recruitment and retention strategy
- Ensure production of annual member survey and the successful archiving of its results for future reference
- Ensuring that inquiries from members and potential members (either via email or through the website) are answered expediently
- Overseeing New Member Coordinator in producing quarterly New Member Orientation (NMO)
- Supervising Director, Global Operations in building new YPFP hubs overseas and communicating with potential hub leaders in an efficient manner
- Liaising between Executive Office and member data team to ensure awareness of current member statistics
- Coordinating with Communications team and Webmaster on website needs that pertain to membership (including but not limited to new member registration)
- Supervising Managing Director and Future Professionals Coordinator in building out offerings for Future Professionals members
- Working with Global Leaders Executive Committee to maintain awareness of and support for GL-specific programming, and collaborate on opportunities for GLs to mentor Young Professional members
- Reporting out regularly to Senior Staff on membership statistics and noticeable trends, needs, etc.
- Current dues-paying member of YPFP
- Commitment to YPFP’s mission and values
- Professional experience in the foreign affairs field and familiarity with foreign affairs career paths and interests
- Ability to commit 15-20 hours a week to volunteer leadership role
- Prior experience managing a team of 5-10 people, ideally in a volunteer capacity
- Prior customer service experience in a membership and/or client-based context
- Familiarity with basic survey design and data analysis strongly desired
- Ability to work well with a team of peers simultaneous with managing a team
- Demonstrated experience juggling competing priorities
- Excellent communication skills
How to apply
To apply for this position, please send your resume and a statement of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Vice President, Membership" in the subject line.