Every year during the convening of the United Nations General Assembly in September, Asia Society provides a forum for high-profile discussions with top officials throughout the region. These programs provide an opportunity for the public to interact with global leaders in order to foster a better understanding of both the challenges and significant opportunities that characterize the continent.
Asia Society has generously reserved complimentary tickets for YPFP members for the following upcoming events ($25-$65 per ticket value). Members may RSVP using this form.
The U.S., China, and the 2016 Vote
Thursday, September 15, 2016. 6:30pm to 8:00pm
One of the most watched and unpredictable presidential campaigns in recent history will, regardless of outcome, have a significant impact on U.S.-China relations. Experts weigh-in on the road ahead.
- Winston Lord, former U.S. Ambassador to China (1985-1989)
- Orville Schell, Director of the Center on U.S.-China Relations at Asia Society
- Emily Parker, author of Now I Know Who My Comrades Are
Culture Under Threat
Friday, September 16, 2016. 8:30am to 12:00pm
A forum discussion in partnership with the Antiquities Coalition and the Middle East Institute, convening renowed leaders who are tackling the problem of destruction and looting of our cultural heritage.
- Ambassador Sebastiano Cardi, Permanent Representative of Italy to the United Nations
- Ambassador Wendy Chamberlin, President of the Middle East Institute
- Brigadier General (Ret.) Russell Howard, senior fellow at the Joint Special Operations University
- Deborah Lehr, chairman and founder of the Antiquities Coalition
- Jon Williams (moderator), managing editor for international news at ABC News.
North Korea: The Way Forward
Monday, September 19, 2016. 6:30pm to 8:00pm
A conversation on one of the most pressing global problems: North Korea's nuclear program.
- Ambassador Christopher Hill, Dean of the Josef Korbel School of International Studies at the University of Denver
- Ambassador Sung-hwan Kim, Distinguished Professor at Hanyang University’s College of International Studies in Seoul
- Ambassador Chung-in Moon, Distinguished Professor Emeritus at Yonsei University in Seoul and Editor-in-Chief of Global Asia
- Yun Sun, Senior Associate with the East Asia Program at the Henry L. Stimson Center and non-resident fellow of the Brookings Institution
Introducing the Center for Global Education at Asia Society
Thursday, September 22, 2016. 10:00am to 11:30am
Building on six decades of education work, Asia Society launches the Center for Global Education this year. A high-level panel discussion focusing on today's most pressing global education topics.
- Irina Bokova, Director-General of UNESCO
- Ido Leffler, Co-founder and CEO of Yoobi, Inc.
- Hekia Parata, Minister of Education of New Zealand
- Ellis Rubinstein, President and CEO, New York Academy of Sciences
- Lizhong Yu, Chancellor of NYU Shanghai
ASEAN: The Next 50 Years
Friday, September 23, 2016. 12:00pm to 2:00pm
A high-level conversation with ministers of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN).
- Dr. Vivian Balakrishnan, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Singapore and Minister-in-Charge of the Smart Nation Initiative
- Perfecto Rivas Yasay Jr., Secretary of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of the Philippines
The opinions expressed in this article are the author's own and do not reflect the views of their employer or Young Professionals in Foreign Policy.