The media is changing rapidly as all content becomes digital, deadlines are 24/7 and everybody is potentially a journalist and publisher – or thinks they are. These changes are challenging enough for reporters, but for those outside the media profession, they can be utterly perplexing.
The aim of this workshop is to help you understand the changes taking place in the media. But also to grasp what drives journalists and how to handle them.
We will cover the following topics:
• Media trends – What’s changing in the media world?
• Targeting media: which type of media are you going to try and sell your story to – and why?
• Handling journalists – Insider tips on what makes them tick and how to approach them
• What is news? – The key to understanding journalists is knowing what makes a news story
• Selling your story – How to pitch news to a skeptical journalist
Gareth Harding is Managing Director of Clear Europe, a communications company. He is also a journalism lecturer for the Missouri School of Journalism and the IHECS school of communication in Brussels. He has over 15 years experience reporting the European Union for publications such as European Voice, Time Magazine and United Press International and has worked in the European Parliament and House of Commons.
Follow him on twitter at @garethharding
Only for YPFP members.
Rue de Stassart 117
Google map and directions