Young Professionals in Foreign Policy (YPFP) is committed to fostering the next generation of foreign policy leaders by providing its members with the knowledge, skills, exposure, and relationships they will need to tackle critical global challenges over the course of their careers. YPFP is a dynamic, global, nonpartisan, non-profit organization with 10,000+ selected members around the world who work in all fields of international affairs. It was established in 2004, and is headquartered in Washington, DC, with branches in Brussels, London, and New York. YPFP is supported by around 150 volunteer staff members worldwide, for whom the leadership and management of a global NGO supplements their daytime career or graduate studies.
About Charged Affairs:
Charged Affairs is YPFP’s foreign policy magazine. Launched as a blog in 2014, it has since transitioned into a proper online journal with its own website and an ambitious publishing agenda. Charged Affairs brings together an editorial and writing team that publishes on a wide range of foreign and international policy subjects, bringing the perspectives of early and mid-career professionals and academics to the broader foreign policy community. Charged Affairs is also a forum for publishing guest pieces by YPFP members in the US and abroad, showcasing the work of our research fellows, and publishing guest op-eds by senior practitioners and thought leaders. Our articles range from op-eds to interviews and book reviews, and we pride ourselves on being a place for original analysis and perspectives.
The core of Charged Affairs’ publishing is the dedicated team of writers. As a staff writer, you would be expected to produce one article every three weeks on topics of your choice within the broader thematic scope of Charged Affairs. You’d work closely with editors to perfect your piece and to connect with opportunities like book reviews and interviews. Finally, you would be expected to support the social media promotion of Charged Affairs articles. Charged Affairs writers also enjoy occasional staff development and social opportunities as a team.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Produce one article every three weeks on topics of interest to the Charged Affairs audience.
- Work through our editorial process in a timely fashion and adhere to the publishing schedule.
- Take initiative and interest in opportunities like interviews and book reviews.
- Support the promotion of Charged Affairs content.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Experience and interest in writing about the foreign affairs/policy topics you are passionate about.
- Strong background in international affairs and/or subfields thereof.
- Excellent writing ability and a superb grasp of written English.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work with editors to adhere to a schedule.
- Openness to editorial input and a desire to improve your written work.
- Willingness to promote the work of your colleagues who will in turn promote your own.
- Desire to grow professionally and personally as a writer and foreign policy expert.
Eligibility and Selection:
Please note that candidates must be dues paying members of YPFP. You are not required to be a YPFP member to apply, but must confirm membership to be accepted to the position. Candidates don’t need to be based in Washington, D.C.
To begin the application process please send a cover letter, your resume and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the heading Charged Affairs Writer Application.