Young Professionals in Foreign Policy (YPFP) is committed to fostering the next generation of foreign policy leaders by providing its members with the knowledge, skills, exposure, and relationships they will need to tackle critical global challenges over the course of their careers. YPFP is a dynamic, global, nonpartisan, non-profit organization with 10,000+ selected members around the world who work in all fields of international affairs. It was established in 2004, and is headquartered in Washington, DC, with branches in Brussels, London, and New York. YPFP is supported by around 150 volunteer staff members worldwide, for whom the leadership and management of a global NGO supplements their daytime career or graduate studies.
About Charged Affairs:
Charged Affairs is YPFP’s in-house foreign policy journal. The journal brings together an editorial and writing team that publishes on a wide range of foreign and international policy subjects, bringing the perspectives of early and mid-career professionals and academics to the broader foreign policy community. Charged Affairs is also a forum for publishing guest pieces by YPFP members in the United States and abroad. Articles range from opinion articles to interviews and book reviews, and the journal prides itself on being a place for original analysis and perspectives.
The Charged Affairs Social Media Strategist is responsible for promoting the publications of the journal consistent with YPFP’s general communications strategy as well as with Charged Affairs’ social media strategy. The position reports directly to the Editor-in-Chief of Charged Affairs. Daily responsibilities include the management of Charged Affairs social media accounts, fostering cross-department and pan-branch promotion of Charged Affairs content, and promoting reader engagement.
This position requires approximately 5 hours per week, and successful candidates will be able to make at least a one-year commitment to the role.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Manage engagement and promotion of journal content through Charged Affairs social media channels (i.e., posting new articles with engaging and accurate summaries, responding to reader inquiries, etc.).
- Utilize social media, such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, the YPFP app, and other emerging media platforms to engage existing readers and social media participants as well as to attract new readers.
- Design and produce periodic subscription newsletter highlighting recently published articles; oversee dissemination of newsletter to subscriber base.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Avid user of popular social media platforms with knowledge of trends, key words, search engine optimization, and effective publicity strategies
- Previous use of Hootsuite, MailChimp or similar, and Wordpress web platform
- Previous experience working with magazine or newspaper publications desired, but not required
- Experience in developing and implementing a social media strategy for a non-profit organization desired, but not required
- Excellent time-management skills, strong written and verbal communication skills, strong networking skills, ability to meet deadlines, and attention to detail
Eligibility and Selection:
- Ideally an early career foreign policy professional or current graduate student in a relevant field
- Position is unpaid and part-time
- If not already a dues-paying member, candidate must become a YPFP member upon acceptance of an offer
- Candidates do not need to be residents of the Washington, DC area
To apply, send the following materials as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover Letter
- Writing sample of 2-3 pages (ideally op-ed and related to foreign policy)
Include “CA Social Media Application” in the subject line.