Young Professionals in Foreign Policy (YPFP) is committed to fostering the next generation of foreign policy leaders by providing its members with the knowledge, skills, exposure, and relationships they will need to tackle critical global challenges over the course of their careers. YPFP is a dynamic, global, nonpartisan, non-profit organization with 10,000+ selected members around the world who work in all fields of international affairs. It was established in 2004, and is headquartered in Washington, DC, with branches in Brussels, London, and New York. YPFP is supported by around 150 volunteer staff members worldwide, for whom the leadership and management of a global NGO supplements their daytime career or graduate studies.
About Charged Affairs:
Charged Affairs is YPFP’s foreign policy magazine. Launched as a blog in 2014, it has since transitioned into a proper online journal with its own website and an ambitious publishing agenda. Charged Affairs brings together an editorial and writing team that publishes on a wide range of foreign and international policy subjects, bringing the perspectives of early and mid-career professionals and academics to the broader foreign policy community. Charged Affairs is also a forum for publishing guest pieces by YPFP members in the US and abroad, showcasing the work of our research fellows, and publishing guest op-eds by senior practitioners and thought leaders. Our articles range from op-eds to interviews and book reviews, and we pride ourselves on being a place for original analysis and perspectives.
The Charged Affairs/YPFP Social Media Strategist is responsible for promoting the publications of the Charged Affairs magazine consistent with YPFP’s social media strategy and in cooperation with the YPFP social media team. The position reports directly to the Director of Social Media and the Editor-in-Chief of Charged Affairs, and entails working closely with Charged Affairs and social media staff along with occasional collaboration with event managers and special projects staff. Daily responsibilities includes the management of Charged Affairs social media accounts, fostering cross-department and pan-branch promotion of Charged Affairs content, and promoting reader engagement.
This position requires approximately 5 hours per week, and successful candidates will be able to make at least a one-year commitment to the role.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Manage engagement and promotion of magazine content through Charged Affairs social media channels (i.e., posting new articles with engaging and accurate summaries of their contents, responding to reader inquiries, etc.).
- Utilize social media, such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, the YPFP app, and other emerging media platforms to engage existing readers and social media participants as well as to attract new readers.
- Design and produce periodic subscription newsletter highlighting recently published articles; oversee dissemination of newsletter to subscriber base.
- Coordinate with broader team effort to promote YPFP content and publications across social media channels.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Avid user of popular social media platforms with knowledge of trends, key words, search engine optimization, and effective publicity strategies.
- Previous use of Hootsuite, MailChimp or similar, and Wordpress web platform.
- Previous experience working with magazine or newspaper publications desired, but not required.
- Experience in developing and implementing a social media strategy for a non-profit organization desired, but not required.
- Excellent time-management skills, strong written and verbal communication skills, strong networking skills, ability to meet deadlines, and attention to detail.
Eligibility and Selection:
Please note that candidates must be dues paying members of YPFP. You are not required to be a YPFP member to apply, but must confirm membership to be accepted to the position. Candidates don’t need to be based in Washington, D.C.
To begin the application process please send a cover letter, your resume and a writing sample to email@example.com, with the heading Charged Affairs Social Media Strategist Application.