Young Professionals in Foreign Policy (YPFP) is committed to fostering the next generation of foreign policy leaders by providing its members with the knowledge, skills, exposure, and relationships they will need to tackle critical global challenges over the course of their careers. YPFP is a dynamic, global, nonpartisan, non-profit organization with 10,000+ selected members around the world who work in all fields of international affairs. It was established in 2004, and is headquartered in Washington, DC, with branches in Brussels, London, and New York. YPFP is supported by around 150 volunteer staff members worldwide, for whom the leadership and management of a global NGO supplements their daytime career or graduate studies.
The Social Media Specialist is responsible for executing YPFP’s social media strategy with other members of the social media team. The position reports directly to the Director, Social Media, and entails working closely with other social media staff, event managers, and special projects staff as well as collaborating with other departments at YPFP. Daily responsibilities include interaction with existing and potential members through social media, promoting member engagement, and management of YPFP’s social media accounts.
This position requires approximately 5 hours per week, and successful candidates will be able to make at least a one-year commitment to the role.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Manages and fosters relationships between YPFP staff and membership through social media channels (i.e. posting engaging questions, responding to member inquiries, etc.).
- Utilizes social media, such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and other emerging media platforms to engage existing members and social media participants as well as to attract new members.
- Contributes to team effort of promoting YPFP events and publications through our social media channels.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Avid user of popular social media platforms with knowledge of trends, key words, etc.
- Experience in developing and implementing a social media strategy for a non-profit organization desired, but not required
- Excellent time-management skills, strong written and verbal communication skills, strong networking skills, ability to meet deadlines, and attention to detail.
Eligibility and Selection:
Please note that candidates must be dues paying members of YPFP. You are not required to be a YPFP member to apply, but must confirm membership to be accepted to the position. Candidates don’t need to be based in Washington, D.C.
To begin the application process please send a cover letter and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the heading Social Media Specialist Application.