U.S. foreign assistance has always had the twofold purpose of furthering America's interests while improving lives in the developing world. USAID carries out U.S. foreign policy by promoting broad-scale human progress at the same time it expands stable, free societies, creates markets and trade partners for the United States, and fosters good will abroad.
The Senior Communications Advisor is GS-14 equivalent and its mechanism is Foreign Service Limited.
The Power Africa and Trade Africa (USAID/AFR/AA/PATA) Presidential Initiative is an office within the Africa Bureau that addresses one of the most pressing challenges to sustainable economic growth and development in sub-Saharan Africa – access to electrical power. President Obama announced the initiative in remarks at the University of Cape Town, South Africa, on June 30th, 2013.
More than 69 percent of the population of sub-Saharan Africa has no access to electricity – and that number rises to more than 85 percent in rural areas. And yet, the region has significant potential to develop clean, geothermal, hydro, wind, and solar energy.
AFR/AA/PATA will bridge the gap between Africa’s power shortage and its economic potential by working with other U.S. Government Agencies, African Governments, NGOs, and Private Sector Partners to take the steps needed to building out power generation, transmission, and expanding the reach of mini-grid and off-grid solutions.
All the partners in the AFR/AA/PATA initiative recognize that business and government must make long-term commitments to solve Africa’s energy deficit. Tough reforms are required on the part of government. Business needs to provide long-term, sustainable solutions. U.S. Government partners need to provide support for deserving projects in a clear and effective way. AFR/AA/PATA exists to enable these steps to be taken.
The Senior Communications Advisor will provide technical and strategic leadership for PATA’s outreach, public affairs, and general communications. He/she will report directly to the Coordinator and Deputy Coordinator or their designees. The incumbent is responsible for PATA’s outreach and communication strategy.
As the focus is on Power Africa, the incumbent will coordinate and work closely with other members of the Office of the Coordinator, both in Washington and Pretoria. As a key liaison between the Coordinator’s Office, PATA countries, and the AFR/DP communications office, the Advisor will manage communications and outreach strategies. This program funded position will be funded out of existing PATA funds.
The position is based in Washington DC, but there may be possibilities for travel.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive public outreach and communications strategy for Power Africa, including objectives, messaging, work plan, budget, and division of roles and responsibilities.
- Lead efforts to communicate the goals and objectives of Power Africa, including the contributions and priorities of all participating USG agencies.
- Develop, write, and edit materials about Power Africa, including web pages, annual reports, speeches, brochures, fact sheets, and others.
- Oversee the PATA Communications and Media Outreach Advisor.
- Serve as the primary point of contact in the United States for information regarding the development of the Power Africa and Trade Africa initiatives.
- Work closely with PATA country Development Outreach and Communications (DOC) officers.
- Draft and coordinate materials for the Coordinator, Deputy Coordinator, and other staff’s public presentations and media encounters in Africa and the United States.
- 10 years of experience in pertinent communications.
- Expertise in both written and oral communications.
- The incumbent must have existing relationships and experience in working with senior leaders in the communications field.
How to apply
In order to apply please send a Cover Letter, your Resume, and three references to email@example.com. Please include “Senior Communications Advisor” in the subject. This posting may be removed before the deadline – please apply as soon as possible if you’re interested.