CSIS is a bipartisan, nonprofit organization headquartered in Washington, D.C. The Center’s 220 full-time staff and large network of affiliated scholars conduct research and analysis and develop policy initiatives that look to the future and anticipate change.
Location - 1616 Rhode Island Ave, NW Washington, DC 20036
The CSIS Middle East Program seeks a creative, hard-working, and energetic research assistant to work on a range of substantive and administrative activities. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
The successful candidate for this position will have a superb grounding in Middle East studies, exceptional analytical skills, and an entrepreneurial bent. She/he will have demonstrably strong research and writing skills, including the ability to process large amounts of information from diverse sources in order to highlight what is important from what is merely interesting. The successful candidate will be a team player, possess excellent communication skills, and have a keen interest in and aptitude for the Middle East and public policy. She/he will also be proactive and skilled at balancing a diverse array of tasks. The position will report to the Director of the Middle East Program.
Responsibilities include assisting in various aspects of research and program support, including but not limited to:
• Supporting the work of the Program Director and Deputy Director through independent research and writing for research projects, publications, multimedia, and speaking engagements
• Editing and fact-checking program materials with a critical perspective and strong attention to detail
• Generating and developing ideas for new projects, events, and speakers
• Contributing to the planning, execution, and follow-up for all program events and special projects
• Assisting in designing, laying out, copy editing, and distributing short reports and monthly newsletters
• Assisting the Associate Director with other administrative tasks as needed
Job Qualifications - Required Qualifications
• A Bachelor’s degree in Middle East Studies, International Affairs, Political Science, or a related field and a strong demonstrated interest in the Middle East
• Demonstrable and strong research, writing, and communication skills
• Strong organization and time management skills, as well as an ability to work well independently and in groups
• Eagerness to be part of a hard-working team that is passionate about the Middle East
• A master’s degree in Middle East Studies, International Affairs, Political Science, or a related field and demonstrated expertise in the Middle East
• Proficiency in at least one regional language (Arabic, Hebrew, or Persian) and/or French
• Experience studying or working in the Middle East
• In-depth knowledge of at least one Middle Eastern country, combined with an ability to look broadly at the region
• Experience in a research support role, editing role, or similar substantive support role
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Performances of duties require the use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The job frequently requires ability to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
How to Apply
We strongly encourage you to review our guide on Advice for Job Seekers in Middle East Policy before submitting your application for a job with the CSIS Middle East Program.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, resumé, three references (at least one academic and one professional), and one brief (500-1000 word) writing sample athttps://www5.apply2jobs.com/CSIS.
Writing samples should demonstrate the ability to research and write clear, engaging, policy-relevant work.
Finalists may also be asked to complete a series of trial assignments assessing their research, writing, and editing abilities under time constraints.
No deadline - CSIS will keep the job open until the hiring manager finds the right person.
CSIS is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.