Young Professionals in Foreign Policy (YPFP) is committed to fostering the next generation of foreign policy leaders by providing its members with the knowledge, skills, exposure, and relationships they will need to tackle critical global challenges over the course of their careers. YPFP is a dynamic, global, nonpartisan, non-profit organization with 10,000+ selected members around the world who work in all fields of international affairs. It was established in 2004, and is headquartered in Washington, DC, with branches in Brussels, London, and New York. YPFP is supported by around 150 volunteer staff members worldwide, for whom the leadership and management of a global NGO supplements their daytime career or graduate studies.
The Public Relations specialist supports YPFP’s outreach to and communication with media. This includes the drafting of press alerts and press releases, maintaining and expanding a database of press contacts, and reaching out to or fielding enquiries from the press. YPFP regularly hosts high-profile events that may be of interest to various media organizations, and it represents a key demographic with unique perspectives on matters of national and international importance. Connecting these YPFP assets to media opportunities and building our visibility is the overarching responsibility of the Public Relations Specialist. Successful PR specialists will have the opportunity to advance in the department.
This position requires approximately 5 hours per week, and successful candidates will be able to make at least a one-year commitment to the role.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Draft press alerts and press releases.
- Build and maintain our database of press contacts.
- Support YPFP’s outreach to media organizations and specific journalists.
- Help to field enquiries from the press.
- Participate in the formulation of an overarching public relations strategy.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Ability to write clearly and succinctly, with an eye for capturing attention and maximizing impact.
- An interest and/or experience working with the media. Media contacts a plus.
- Utmost professionalism in dealing with third parties and protecting the YPFP brand.
- Ability to work independently to identify new PR opportunities.
- A strong sense of organization, particularly in building and maintain a database of press contacts.
- An awareness of the opportunities but also pitfalls of engaging with the media.
Eligibility and Selection:
Please note that candidates must be dues paying members of YPFP and located in the greater Washington D.C. region. You are not required to be a YPFP member to apply, but must confirm membership to be accepted to the position.
To begin the application process please send a cover letter, your resume and writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the heading Public Relations Specialist Application.