Position: Program Assistant, Regional Security Initiative F/M
Duration: Full-time 1 year contract, with possible extension
Department: Regional Security
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Reporting to: Program Associate, Regional Security Initiative
The EastWest Institute (EWI) is a fiercely independent international policy organization founded in 1980 to help prevent conflict and promote international cooperation in solving seemingly intractable peace and security issues. EWI is known for its record of accomplishments, action bias and results-driven mandate, as well as for its commitment to facilitating cooperation between developing and developed nations.
Within its regional security initiative, the EWI, implements a regional economic security program in Afghanistan post-2014 also known as the “Afghanistan Reconnected Process”. This process seeks to convene high level representatives of governments, parliaments and of the private sector from Afghanistan, Iran, India, Pakistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, China, the United Arab Emirates, the United States of America and Europe as well as from regional and international organizations, to identify and promote opportunities for economic growth both in Afghanistan and in the region.
EWI launched this initiative in 2012 as Afghanistan entered a phase of political and economic transitions, and its future development is a vital part of this region at the cross-roads of Asia. As of 2014, Afghanistan will also have to manage transition from a “security economy”, driven by the presence of foreign troops and depending on foreign aid, into a more sustainable peace economy, with sufficient growth and revenue for the government. The EWI is forging regional cooperation for Afghanistan’s medium and long-term economic potential to avoid an economic depression in the year of 2014 and beyond.
Basic Purpose and Function:
The Program Assistant provides administrative, logistical and research support to one or more programmatic area. In addition, the Program Assistant will work across EWI programs to provide research, logistical, writing, and administrative support as needed.
Provide administrative support, including:
- Manage scheduling and contacts as required
- Draft, edit correspondences when necessary
- Maintain filing system and up-to-date files (hard copy and electronic)
- Carry out day-to-day administrative tasks as needed.
Provide research and logistical support for EWI programs, conferences, and events, including:
- Compile and disseminate all Project related material to participants (i.e. research commissioned, meeting background briefs, meeting reports and conclusions) and ensure updating of the web-site
- Provide support for events (conference, meetings, round tables, etc.) follow-up
- Responsible for travel and hotel arrangements for event participants as well as other logistical support to the event as requested
- Maintaining database of past, current and future participants and speakers.
- Provide research support.
- Assist development in researching funding sources and drafting/editing proposals for potential institutional and individual sources of funding.
- May supervise work of interns.
- Assist in special projects and assignments as required.
- Bachelor’s degree and 1 year of administrative and/or program/project support experience or a graduate degree.
- Reliable, very well organized; Proficiency in English both spoken and written; Very good team player; Positive, active, open-minded; International focus and thrives in diverse environment.
- Computer skills: Word, Excel, Internet research, Outlook and Power Point are a must.
- Expertise in database management and knowledge management highly desirable.
- Experience organizing conferences and meetings, making domestic and international travel arrangements preferred.
- Fluency in a second language desirable.
- Knowledge of Afghanistan preferable.