Following the kick off of YPFP's policy picnics last week, join the discussion at our Migration Policy picnic. Since 2000, more than 27,000 migrants have died attempting the dangerous journey to Europe. With an unprecedented number of people attempting to break into 'fortress Europe', EU leaders have so far failed to reach a compromise on relocation quotas for asylum seekers already in Europe.
The main efforts are spent in border protection and to prevent smugglers’ boats from leaving port. However, are these efforts enough to lessen the flow of irregular migration and prevent recurring humanitarian tragedies? Join in the discussion at our next Policy Picnic.
Meeting point: Parc du Cinquantenaire, Schuman entrance
- Monthly Analysis of migratory trends May 2015 (FRONTEXT, 23/06/2015)
- Asylum in the EU in the first quarter 2015 (Eurostat, 18/06/2015)
- A European agenda on migration (European Commission, 13/05/2015)
- Migration and migrant population statistics explained (Eurostat, May 2015)
- Why is Europe struggling with migrants and asylum? (BBC, 26/06/2015)
- Facing 2020: developing a new European agenda for migration and asylum policy (Migration Policy Institute, February 2013)
- Managing migration: a common challenge (European Commission, 23/04/2015)
- What priorities for the new European agenda on migration? (CEPS, 22/04/2015)
- Everything you want to know about migration across the Mediterranean (The Economist, 04/04/2015)
- Mediterranean migrants: EU leaders agree voluntary intake after heated talks (The Guardian, 26/06/2015)
- Europe’s great migration crisis (Gatestone Institute, 12/07/2015)
- You’re better than this, Europe (The New York Times, 28/06/2015)
- From Mare Nostrum to Triton: What has changed for migrants? (Cafe Babel, 11/02/2015)
- Migration Crisis Puts Europe’s policy missteps into focus, experts say (The New York Times, 24/04/ 2015).
- Spain at the sharp end of migrant debate as controversial fencing draws blood (The Irish Times, 19/07/2015)
- Spain admits firing rubber bullets at migrants swimming to enclave (The Telegraph, 14/02/2014)
- European Council meeting (25 and 26 June 2015) – Conclusions on migration
Avenue de la Joyeuse Entrée 24
Google map and directions