The Open Society Foundations work to build vibrant and tolerant democracies whose governments are accountable to their citizens. The Open Society Foundations’ Arab Regional Office (ARO) was established in 2006 to support local civil society in its efforts to protect human rights and build vibrant and tolerant societies. Based in Amman, Jordan, the office supports a diverse group of civil society organizations, research centers, universities, and media organizations across the Arab world in Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, the Occupied Palestinian Territories, Tunisia, and Yemen.
Reporting to the director of the ARO in Amman, Jordan, the policy and advocacy officer will develop and oversee implementation of a policy and advocacy strategy to support the work and aspirations of the region’s civil society. Reporting to the ARO executive director, the policy and advocacy officer will be ARO’s expert on a broad range of policy issues and will advocate for partners’ open society principles, work with or create coalitions to develop and implement advocacy strategies, produce briefing materials and reports, engage with the media and be a liaison with other offices within Open Society working on similar issues.
- Identify, build, and manage relationships and networks with policymakers, opinion leaders, and partners in the Arab region;
- Prioritize and analyze policy debates within the region to feed into regional advocacy strategies;
- Contribute to the development of criteria, indicators, and benchmarks to assess progress in meeting ARO policy and advocacy objectives;
- Generate ideas and discussions on new advocacy or research projects that will make substantive contributions to policy in the Arab region;
- Analyze governments’ policies in specific and significant areas, as the need arises;
- Contribute to developing advocacy strategies and related materials to move government policy on specific issues through effective public engagement and contacts with key decision-makers;
- Work closely with other organizations and Open Society grantees to help build effective coalitions on the local and regional levels;
- Provide support and training to key grantees to enhance advocacy capacities and assist with development of organizational advocacy strategies;
- Represent Open Society in meetings with partners, decision-makers, and the media;
- Contribute to producing a range of documents, including articles, issue briefs, reports, memoranda, OpEds, blog posts, and other written and electronic content;
- Prepare and manage assigned budget, and ensure proper expenditure and reporting;
- Supervise program staff and coordinate team work to ensure goals and timelines are met;
- Supervise staff and consultants on special projects;
- Work with the communications officer on media strategies and outreach on related issues;
- Travel in the region as required;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Advanced degree (MA/MS) and a minimum of six years of relevant experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Experience in policy fields, advocacy and government relations;
- Knowledge of one or more substantive areas including human rights, governance, women’s rights, information and media, and policies of Arab governments in those areas;
- Excellent knowledge of political processes and experience working with civil society groups to advocate for change.
How to Apply:
Please email resume and cover letter with salary requirements and three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Include job code in the subject line: P&A ARO.
Open until filled.