Lutheran World Relief works to improve the lives of smallholder farmers and people experiencing poverty in Africa, Asia and Latin America, both in times of emergencies and for the long term. With the financial support of US Lutherans and other donors, LWR strengthens communities through programs in agriculture, climate, and emergency support. LWR works with partners, supporters and technical assistance providers to achieve lasting results.
Location - Lutheran World Relief - 700 Light Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
The position of New Business Development Manager supports LWR's Revenue and Investment Plan. This position will coordinate the business acquisition process beginning with donor engagement through award negotiation and create and manage systems that support the efficient functioning of New Business Development (NBD) Unit. The NBD Unit identifies and pursues new growth opportunities with government, foundation and corporate donors.
1. Coordinate proposal development to ensure high quality concept papers and proposals by identifying and managing proposal teams, supporting proposal-related research and writing, and managing timely delivery of documents
2. Conduct proposal review and submission to ensure quality and organizational alignment
3. Serve as lead writer for some concept papers and proposals
4. Ensure communication/coordination with relevant staff (finance, program, marketing and business development) and support review and editing of cost documents
5. Support the competitive analysis of specific opportunities and facilitate bid decision-making conversations
6. Facilitate technical design workshops on some proposals
1. Coordinate the hand-off of successful awards to the relevant implementing team
2. Manage and document proposal debrief meetings
3. Ensure successful negotiation of restricted awards with institutional donors
1. Manage electronic resources, files and databases needed for business development systems
1. Manage LWR's library of business development tools, including LWR's Grants Acquisition Manual, and develop new tools and resources as needed
2. Plan, coordinate and facilitate training sessions for LWR staff to build business development capacities
3. Work with the NBD Director and Deputy Director to recommend and/or disseminate policy changes to improve efficiency and effectiveness of business development processes
1. Assist the Deputy Director for Technical Support in the development of marketing materials related to LWR's technical approaches as needed
2. Conduct benchmarking research of peer organizations for purposes of competitive intelligence, in the U.S. and internationally
3. Represent LWR to potential donors at forums and events
1. Identify funding opportunities via list serves, internet searches, and networking
2. Support systems and procedures to guarantee quality donor forecasting and intelligence gathering, including conducting market research and monitoring specific funding opportunities
3. Coordinate the development of teaming agreements, memoranda of understanding, and other institutional agreements under the guidance of the NBD Director
Strategy and Planning
1. Support the NBD Director in stakeholder surveys and other inputs necessary for developing multi-year and annual operating plans
2. Assist in the development and periodic review of LWR's NBD strategy, policies, procedures, manuals and guidelines.
3. Support regional teams in development and implementation of NBD strategies, including by tracking key political, economic and social trends
4. Support the NBD Director in benchmarking LWR's business development strategies
5. Support NBD Director in engaging the leadership team, the Board of Directors and President's Council appropriately around strategic thinking, positioning, and business development
1. Manage/coordinate the work of temporary employees and consultants as necessary
2. Monitor the effectiveness of NBD processes and gather feedback, suggesting improvements as needed
Job Qualifications Successful track record of program development; proven and sustained success in raising restricted funds donors
- Deep commitment to LWR's core values and ability to model those values in relationships with colleagues and partners.
- 3-5 years' experience in international development
- Master's degree in a relevant field
- Successful track record of program development; proven and sustained success in raising restricted funds donors
- Experience as a writer for successful proposals to USAID, US Department of State and major foundations
- Excellent communicator-verbal and written
- Strong facilitation skills
- Able to collaborate with a diverse work force
- Proactive and flexible work style
- Capable of identifying and responding to shifting priorities
- Fluency in French and/or Spanish
- Experience with and commitment to working in a very diverse workforce
- Familiarity with working within a faith-based organization.
- Ability and affinity for working in teams
- Ability to travel overseas up to 20 percent of the time
How to Apply
Visit http://lwr.iapplicants.com/ViewJob-640611.html to apply
Deadline to Apply: Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis but we are looking to fill this position as soon as possible.