Created in 1974, the European Environmental Bureau (EEB) is now Europe's largest federation of environmental organisations with 140+ member organisations who gain their membership from the general public. Because of this, we are guided by the voices of 15 million European citizens, and act as the ears and voice of its members towards the EU decision makers and beyond.
Reporting to the Director of the EEB’s Global Policies and Sustainability Unit, the Aarhus and Enlargement/Neighbourhood Policy Officer will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Coordinating and facilitating NGO participation in the official Aarhus Convention processes at UNECE level (Meeting of the Parties, Working Group of the Parties, Task Forces, Compliance Committee);
- Undertaking and/or supporting measures (publications, events etc) to a) improve implementation of the Convention*, b) increase the number of Parties to the Convention and c) strengthen its provisions;
- Undertaking and/or supporting measures furthering the implementation of Principle 10 of the 1992 Rio Declaration on Environment and Development in other regions of the world;
- Carrying out awareness-raising activities in relation to the Aarhus Convention and Principle 10 (website, newsletters, seminars etc);
- Tracking and as appropriate engaging in other UNECE environment-related processes, notably those of relevant multilateral environmental agreements and the ‘Environment for Europe’ process;
- Develop and implement, or participate in, activities and/or projects to promote stronger environmental and sustainability policies in the UNECE countries outside of the EU, in particular those from EU enlargement and Eastern Partnership countries, working in partnership with EEB members and other environmental NGOs from those countries
The candidate should have:
- Familiarity with intergovernmental environmental processes and the modalities of stakeholder participation;
- As a minimum, a good basic understanding of a) Principle 10 and the Aarhus Convention and b) the EU enlargement and neighbourhood processes (more detailed expertise an advantage);
- Experience in working with diverse UNECE countries;
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal communication skills, with ability to engage and motivate;
- Relevant project management experience;
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English, proficiency in Russian highly desirable and fluency in other widely used European languages an asset;
- Extensive experience in working with member-based civil society organizations, preferably at European level;
- A firm commitment to the values the EEB represents.
The candidate should have at least three years of relevant professional work experience.
How to apply:
Applications consisting of a letter of motivation, CV and completed questionnaire (below) should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 13 April 2015.
N.B. Only applications that include these three components will be considered.
Questionnaire accompanying applications for post of EEB Aarhus and Enlargement/Neighbourhood Policy Officer
The following questions are by no means intended to cover all important aspects of the post but are to enable applicants to express some concise views on some important aspects. Please respect the word limits.
1. What do you consider to be the most important obstacles to effective civil society participation in intergovernmental processes, and how can they be overcome? (150-200 words)
2. How can the environmental movement be more effective in promoting full implementation of the Aarhus Convention? (150-200 words)
3. What are the main leverages and barriers for civil society in the European neighbourhood countries to improve their countries’ environmental and sustainability policies? (150-200 words)