YPFP is a dynamic, nonpartisan organization that provides a platform for a new generation of internationally-minded leaders to tackle the most pressing global challenges. The organization is at a critical inflection point for growth and innovation, and primed for a motivated, creative, detail-oriented leader who is excited to champion transformational change and drive strong organizational performance.
Founded in 2004, YPFP has grown from a small startup to a global nonprofit 501(c)3 registered and headquartered in Washington, DC, with branches in New York, London, Brussels, and an expanding global presence around the world. YPFP has more than 17,000 young people engaged and reaches thousands more over social media.
The Communications Department encompasses YPFP’s marketing, public relations, and social media teams. The Department addresses both day-to-day externally facing communication needs of the organization as well as long-term, cross-sectoral strategy.
The Managing Director, Communications serves as a member of YPFP’s Senior Staff and is the primary manager of the Communications Department’s day-to-day operations. He or she also has extensive responsibility in helping the Vice President, Communications guide, create, and implement a strategic vision and long-term plan for the Department.
The successful candidate will display strong leadership skills, with an emphasis on the ability to motivate peers, the capability to think broadly and strategically while remaining attentive to details, possess outstanding communications skills, and show a passion for maintaining YPFP’s reputation in the foreign policy community as a convener and amplifier of NextGen voices, offering outstanding programming and opportunities for NextGen leaders. They will also have experience in professional communications and an interest in international affairs.
The Managing Director, Communications reports directly to the Vice President, Communications.
- Oversee department staff and work directly with Vice President and team directors to ensure functions such as social media, marketing materials production, and public relations are supported (this includes filling in crucial day-to-day functions in the absence of any given support staff)
- Support strategic vision for YPFP's communications activities
- Monitor and support daily operations and provide reporting on progress toward communications objectives and short, medium, and long term strategic goals
- Report out on initiatives and needs both formally (senior staff and department meetings) and informally
- Collaborate with fellow senior staff to ensure that YPFP events, initiatives, and general membership benefits are promoted effectively
Desirable Skills and Attributes
- Excellent management skills, demonstrated leadership experience, a track record of personal initiative and detail-oriented project management, and proven ability to lead a volunteer team.
- Excellent interpersonal and cross-organizational communications skills.
- Professional experience in international affairs, public relations, strategic communications, and/or strategic planning is preferred.
- Professional experience managing press relations is desired.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suites or Canva is preferred but not required.
- Experience with social media (including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram) as well as with social media management program Hootsuite desired. Also an interest in content creation a plus.
- Experience with NationBuilder or e-newsletters desired.
Eligibility & Requirements
- Based in Washington, DC.
- Ability to attend regular senior staff meetings.
- Ability to organize department meetings at a minimum of once per month.
- Highly responsive to email and available for meetings and events on weeknights (after 5:30/6:00pm) and weekends.
- This position requires a minimum commitment of 15-20 hours per week and the ability to respond to email inquiries within 24 hours under normal circumstances.
Please note that candidates must be dues paying members of YPFP and located in the greater Washington, DC area. You are not required to be a YPFP member to apply, but must confirm membership to be accepted to the position.
To Apply: Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume and a statement of interest (500 words or less).
Please note that all YPFP staff positions are unpaid and on a volunteer basis. You must be a dues-paying member to be offered a volunteer position.