Writer, Research Department (Volunteer Position)
Young Professionals in Foreign Policy (YPFP) is committed to fostering the next generation of foreign policy leaders by providing its members with the knowledge, skills, exposure, and relationships they will need to tackle critical global challenges over the course of their careers. YPFP is a dynamic, global, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization with 10,000 selected members around the world who work in all fields of international affairs. It was established in 2004, and is headquartered in Washington, DC, with branches in Brussels, London, and New York.
We are hiring 2-3 writers to contribute to the YPFP blog on a regular basis (minimum of two submissions per month for 12 months) and 2 writers to work on long-term, large, high-level reports with timelines of 6-12 months.
YPFP publications are critical tools to help drive YPFP’s mission and to reach a large audience of general members in four global branches, board members, donors, and general public. The YPFP blog fosters a dialogue on the future of foreign policy, leadership, and the rise of the Millennial generation. To complement the blog, the Research team is also responsible for delivering high-level reports on each Leadership Incubator Module and other topical narratives.
Writers are at the core of the blog and Publications team’s efforts to engage in meaningful conversations on foreign policy issues. We encourage all aspiring journalists, analysts, and policy wonks to apply.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Short-content writers will produce thematic articles and blog posts for YPFP on a regular basis. (Blogs and articles should be 300-500 words.) Report-writers will be assigned to long-term reports ranging anywhere from 15 pages to 50 pages.
- Respond to emails and edits within a reasonable timeframe.
- Reviewing and editing own work prior to submitting.
- Work closely with editor(s) to polish content for publication.
- Collaborate with Research Fellows, Discussion Groups Chairs, and other YPFP staff for materials (i.e. facts, primary data, notes, etc.).
- Work independently or collaboratively to meet deadlines.
- Attended and cover internal and external events in the DC metro area.
Eligibility and Requirements:
- Responsive, coachable, and able to consider feedback.
- Ability to take direction, be a part of a team, and act independently.
- Excellent ability to communicate well in writing.
- Experience writing for a blog, scholarly journals, magazines, or newspapers.
- Demonstrated interest in foreign policy issues.
- Intellectual rigor, honesty, and a sense of humor are major pluses.
- In your application, please indicate if you are applying for a short-content writer position or report-writer position.
To join the staff of YPFP DC, please contact email@example.com with a letter of interest and resume. Please include the position title in the subject line.