Vice President, Membership (Volunteer)
Young Professionals in Foreign Policy (YPFP) is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization committed to fostering the next generation of foreign policy leaders. Founded in 2004 and run by a team of more than 100 dedicated volunteers, YPFP has grown from a start up to a global community of 10,000 young professionals in more than 60 countries with branches in Washington, New York, London, and Brussels.
The Vice President for Membership leads the planning, execution, and ongoing management of YPFP’s membership engagement and analysis programs. He or she will be responsible for creating and implementing a strategic vision for membership in YPFP and will align global membership activities to the strategic goals of the organization. The successful candidate will display superior leadership and management skills, demonstrate the capability to think broadly and strategically, and be comfortable engaging with staff and members in all of YPFP’s branches. Ideally, the Vice-President will be extremely familiar with YPFP’s mission and values, and will be comfortable using YPFP’s technology platforms.
To apply, please send your résumé and a brief statement of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities:
- Lead YPFP’s global membership engagement and analysis programs and serve as the interface between YPFP executive office and over 10,000 members worldwide.
- Align branch membership activities with the strategic goals of the broader YPFP organization, to ensure activities foster the next generation of foreign policy leaders.
- Collaborate with and provide guidance to Membership staff in YPFP’s New York, London, and Brussels branches.
- Serve as a member of YPFP Senior Staff, which is collectively responsible for strategic planning, budgeting, and execution of programs for YPFP.
- In coordination with the managing director, design and execute the short and long-range strategic goals of the membership department.
- In collaboration with the Managing Director, design and implement plans to drive membership growth, build community between existing members, and demonstrate the value of YPFP membership to potential and current members and external partners.
- In coordination with the managing director, mentor and train department staff.
- Collaborate with other YPFP departments and teams (e.g. Programming, Marketing & Communications, Development, Research) to emphasize membership growth.
- Answer member inquiries sent to email@example.com.
Eligibility and Requirements:
- YPFP Member (dues-paying), based in Washington, D.C.
- Demonstrated understanding of YPFP’s mission and values.
- Direct experience with the YPFP membership department’s activities, goals, and role.
- Ability to coordinate with YPFP branch leadership and engage YPFP members worldwide.
- Excellent management skills, demonstrated leadership experience, a track record of personal initiative and ability to lead a volunteer team.
- Professional experience in international affairs, communications, and strategic planning.
- Ability to use member-related YPFP technology platforms and willingness to learn new technologies quickly with little training (including Google Apps, Customer Relations Management (CRM) tools, Sharepoint, and wikis).
- Ability to handle multiple activities, manage priorities and meet tight time-lines.
- Ability to preside over department meetings minimum once per month and attend a Senior Staff meeting once per month.
- Minimum commitment of 15-20 hours per week, availability to attend meetings and events on weeknights (after 5 pm) and the ability to respond to email inquiries in less than 24 hours under normal circumstances.
- One year commitment to position, following a 3-month probationary period.