Vice President of Communications and External Affairs
The Bridgespan Group is a nonprofit advisor and resource for mission-driven organizations and philanthropists. We collaborate with social sector leaders to help scale impact, build leadership, advance philanthropic effectiveness and accelerate learning. We work on issues related to society’s most important challenges and breaking cycles of intergenerational poverty. Our services include strategy consulting, leadership development, philanthropy advising, and developing and sharing practical insights.
Seeking a highly motivated self-starter with excellent interpersonal and communications skills to fill the position of Vice President of Communications & External Affairs for a non-profit veterans organization. Prefer a veteran recently familiar with the college experience; however, this is not a mandatory requirement. This position has potential for high exposure media and political attention. The position is located in Washington, DC.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Coordinates the organization’s overall external communications strategy between SVA and its members/stakeholders
- Will work collaboratively with senior leadership to develop and implement communication strategies to broaden the impact of SVA's programs and assist organizational messaging
- Facilitates communication between Congress, state officials, federal executive agencies and SVA
- Provides information and analysis regarding the effects of legislative issues and regulatory proposals relating to policies impacting Student Veterans of America
- Recommends and carries out actions to influence congressional and state legislation
- Relays all information and reports directly to the SVA Executive Director
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and senior leadership to develop communications strategies that will broaden programmatic reach and deepen impact
- Develop and refine SVA's "core" messages to ensure organizational consistency
- Identify significant media and public policy issues that can be leveraged to support SVA's work, and create and implement plans to leverage off of them
- Develops annual communications and legislative agenda for SVA
- Produces media advisories, op-eds, and organizational communiqués to external stakeholders while serving as the point of contact for various public affair-related inquiries (e.g. radio & TV inquiries
- Manages SVA’s online presence including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, You Tube, Picasa, Flickr, etc
- Organizes events for student veterans to meet with their legislators
- Maintains effective and cordial working relationships with executive and legislative branches as well as other veteran organizations
- Articulates and advocates the policy positions of SVA on relevant issues and events to all members of the organization and its stakeholders
- Represents SVA at Congressional meetings, hearings, and conferences and prepares and disseminates summaries of these events for the SVA leadership and Board of Directors
Eligibility and Requirements
- A Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Policy, or related field
- Excellent public speaking, writing, presentation, and organizational skills; including the ability to present materials/positions in a public forum and respond to inquiries and questions while maintaining professional composure
- Working knowledge of Congressional and/or state legislature/agency procedures, laws and regulatory activities preferred
- Excellent knowledge of all forms of media, particularly print and social media
- Ability to proactively manage program activities; to establish goals and objectives; to prepare concise reports; and to plan work for favorable results.
- Ability to work under pressure with demanding deadlines, multi-task multiple projects, and prepare well-coordinated proactive solutions to problems and challenges.
- Willingness to travel and work flexible hours, including weekends and evenings as required.
- Significant communications experience that includes a blend of advocacy and media relations
- A strong track record of positioning an organization to achieve tangible outcomes in a competitive communications environment
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample (not to exceed 2 pages) to email@example.com. In the subject, please specify the position for which you are applying. Reference the job title and Bridgespan.org when applying for a job in addition to following all application instructions in the posting.