Summer Intern – Promotions and Programs
The American Friends of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation (AF) seeks a summer intern to assist the office staff in promotions, fund raising, and research. You will work closely with AF staff on maintaining and expanding the promotional databases, developing the American Friends online presence in conjunction with our website redesign project, and conducting background research to support development of programs and activities related to global science, science policy, and transatlantic relations. You will have a chance to learn to successfully update and maintain a promotional database, as well as research new contacts. Other duties will also include administrative support in connection with the American Friends fundraising appeal, general office support, and ad hoc projects.
The intern will join American Friends at an exciting period of growth and development. This summer we are undertaking many new innovative projects. Key initiatives include: a website re-design; a launch of a substantive blog on science, technology, and transatlantic relations; support for a new marketing campaign in the US; and the development of a seminar series and other activities. . We are seeking an enthusiastic intern to bring fresh ideas and perspectives to these exciting projects.
The internship is a summer program starting in June ending in August. Work hours and start/end date are flexible based on your schedule. This is a paid part-time internship, 20 hours a week or less, at $10-12 per hour.
About American Friends of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation :
American Friends of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation is the professional partner of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation (AvH) in the United States, and is a U.S. 501(c)3 charitable organization. The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation promotes academic cooperation between excellent researchers and other professionals from abroad and from Germany.
- Strong attention to detail
- Experience with data entry and database management tools
- Competent with Microsoft Office Suite, particularly with the mail merge function
- Ability to multitask/good organizational skills
- Good research skills
- Strong writing skills
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work in a small team environment
- College students or recent graduates, preferably in communications, science, international relations are encouraged to apply. Other majors will be considered based on experience.
Additional desired skills:
- Experience with database platform SalesForce
- Interest in science policy and transatlantic relations
- Interest in nonprofit organizations
- German language skills
American Friends Mission:
To become a leading source in the United States for the promotion of national and international networking, exchange, and creative collaboration among scientists, scholars, artists and other professionals. Our goals include:
- Expand pool of future Humboldtians from the United States;
- Encourage and support continued collaboration among US alumni;
- With partners, raise Germany's visibility as a center for research.
How To Apply:
Please email a cover letter, resume, and references to Jessica Bell Jessica.email@example.com by Friday, May 17, 2013. No telephone calls please.