Spring 2014 Internship
AMAR U.S. is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization affiliated with the AMAR International Charitable Foundation, a British charity which has been working since 1991 to deliver services on a sustained and lasting basis to underserved populations, refugees and internally displaced persons in the Middle East and South Asia.
AMAR's role is to bring public health and education to people who need it in areas where governments and the private sector lack capacity, and to work with local authorities to create structures and systems for the long term, built on a foundation of excellence and experience. Today AMAR delivers over one million medical consultations each year in Iraq and Lebanon through a network of 35 health centers, benefiting a catchment area of over 600,000 men, women and children.
The position is voluntary. A stipend of $15 per day is provided for food and travel expenses.
AMAR U.S. offers full-time and part-time voluntary Program Assistant positions, lasting 3-4 months, to exceptional candidates with a keen interest in creating long-term sustainable solutions for populations in conflict zones and high-stress areas in the Middle East and elsewhere.
Program Assistants will place a high value on capacity-building and institution-building through the provision of innovative health, education and empowerment initiatives as tools for stabilisation, conflict resolution and human rights promotion.
Program Assistants receive a rewarding experience supporting all aspects of the work of AMAR U.S. Their tasks may include, but are not limited to:
- Maintain and develop knowledge of Middle Eastern development issues;
- Manage existing and future projects with US-based donors;
- Represent AMAR to US government agencies, international institutions, NGOs and think-tanks;
- Prepare presentations of AMAR projects and ‘the AMAR model’ in a variety of formats—powerpoint, briefing reports, web pages, etc.;
- Develop the annual fundraising capacity of AMAR U.S. through activities including fundraisers and the creation of ‘roundtables’ of AMAR supporters in US cities;
- Help manage existing and future projects with US-based donor;
- Build the annual fundraising capacity of AMAR U.S. through activities including fundraisers and the maintenance of AMAR Supporters Circles in US cities;
- Maintain and update the AMAR U.S. website and social media platforms;
- Arrange travel, meetings and appointments;
- Where appropriate, attend meetings, taking notes and drafting official minutes;
Key qualities and skills required are:
- Strong writing skills, the ability to produce high-quality work to deadlines and to balance multiple commitments in an organised and efficient way;
- Excellent interpersonal and communicative skills;
- High level of numeracy;
- Proficiency with IT generally and the MS office package;
- Keen interest in editing;
- Commitment to core human rights values, tolerance and diversity.
How to Apply
The application deadline is January 12, 2014. Please e-mail a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line ‘Program Assistant Application’. All applications will be acknowledged. http://www.amarfoundation.org/amar_us/internprogram.php