Dr. Zalmay Khalilzad, former U.S. Ambassador to Afghanistan and Iraq, and U.S. Permanent Representative to the United Nations (“Principal”), seeks an assistant (“Special Assistant”) to assist him with his demanding and fast-paced endeavors. The Special Assistant will be an integral member of the Gryphon Partners (“GP”) team. GP is an advisory and investment firm that assists clients in emerging markets throughout the Middle East and Central Asia.
Applicants should have a deep interest in emerging markets and foreign policy and seek an opportunity to grow professionally. Compensation and benefits are competitive and will depend on qualifications of the applicant. GP needs and candidate availability will determine start date, which is expected to fall within the June 15 to July 15, 2013 range.
Job Posting Date: April 4, 2013
Job Closing Date: May 1, 2013
- Managing the Principal’s demanding schedule/calendar (which will require judgment on prioritizing engagements, and deciding which meeting requests are not worth bringing to the Principal’s attention) – including scheduling personal/social commitments for the Principal and his wife;
- Receiving and screening telephone calls, including occasional press inquiries, and referring callers to other staff, as appropriate;
- Assisting in making complex international travel arrangements, often on very short notice;
- Providing administrative support to GP-related entities Metis Analytics, a consulting firm, and ARCH International, an non-profit organization;
- Maintaining accounts for the firm, including preparing monthly invoices and expense reports, paying monthly expenses, and processing payroll;
- Proofreading and editing documents to ensure proper formatting, punctuation, and grammar;
- Managing records and conducting data-entry relating to client accounts, business contacts, etc.;
- Creating and maintaining filing systems and databases to ensure accurate and efficient retrieval of information;
- Drafting routine correspondence;
- Coordinating conferences, meetings, and business gatherings;
- Greeting high-level guests from different cultural backgrounds; and
- Completing other miscellaneous tasks assigned by the Principal.
Secondary Responsibilities (time permitting once Primary Responsibilities are fulfilled):
- Researching foreign policy, business, and other developments in the Middle East and Central/South Asia;
- Drafting briefing memoranda on the above and other topics;
- Preparation of talking points for speeches;
- Analysis of potential client prospects; and
- Participation in high-level policy meetings as note-taker.
- Ability to communicate fluently (orally and in writing) in English;
- Ability to work well under pressure, meet deadlines and remain calm while dealing with difficult situations and changing work environments;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and to carefully follow directions and pay attention to details;
- Familiarity with booking international travel;
- Ability to pronounce names of different cultural backgrounds, in particular Middle Eastern names;
- Excellent writing skills as well as spelling, grammar and punctuation;
- Able to have a flexible schedule, including occasional work or email correspondence on evenings and weekends;
- Proficiency in the use of Windows XP and MS Word. Proficient knowledge of MS Excel and MS PowerPoint;
- Knowledge and/or proficiency in Quickbooks a plus, but not required;
- BA/BS degree or equivalent required; and
- Minimum 2 years government, policy, think-tank, consulting, business, or other similar experience required. Preference will be given to candidates with experience working for and/or with a high-profile principal.
How To Apply
Interested applicants should submit a resume with cover e-mail to Holly Rehm (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as possible, but no later than May 1, 2013.
About Gryphon Partners
Founded by Dr. Zalmay Khalilzad, former U.S. ambassador to Afghanistan, Iraq, and the United Nations, Gryphon Partners (GP) assists clients in markets throughout the Middle East and Central Asia while making positive contributions to the global community. GP consists of Khalilzad Associates (KA), which focuses on providing advisory and consulting services, and Gryphon Capital Partners (GCP), which focuses on investment services. Through KA and GCP, the firm offers a wide range of advisory and investment services tailored to each client’s unique needs. It excels at identifying promising opportunities, as well as solving the most difficult business challenges. We work closely with clients to ensure their projects succeed -- even in some of the world’s most challenging markets.
Additional information about GP is available at: www.gryphon-partners.com.