Social Media Strategist, Marketing & Communications (Volunteer Position)
Young Professionals in Foreign Policy
Social Media Director, Marketing & Communications Department
Young Professionals in Foreign Policy (YPFP) is committed to fostering the next generation of foreign policy leaders by providing its members with the knowledge, skills, exposure, and relationships they will need to tackle critical global challenges over the course of their careers.
YPFP is a dynamic, global, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization with 8,000 selected members around the world who work in all fields of international affairs. It was established in 2004, and is headquartered in Washington, DC; with branches in Brussels, London, and New York.
Position Description:Nothing better illustrates the “Young” in YPFP than social media. YPFP has an expanding social media presence across numerous platforms and seeks a Social Media Director to work with its Social Media Director in the Marketing and Communications department, which manages YPFP’s external communications and promotional strategy, of which social media forms a large component. The position is for someone who thinks on his or her feet, looks for creative solutions, and understands how to leverage social media tools to YPFP’s overall advantage.
If you are interested in this volunteer staff position, please send a cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position title in the subject line.
Roles and Responsibilities:
● Publish YPFP-related content throughout social media channels
● Interact with YPFP subscribers, stimulating discussion
● Track and interpret social media analytics
● Working in conjunction with the social media team, develop a social media best practices guide
● Actively seek for ways to improve the effectiveness of YPFP’s social media efforts
Eligibility and Requirements:
● YPFP General Member (dues-paying)
● Must be located in Washington, DC
● Working knowledge of social media platforms, particularly Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, & Google+
● Excellent and creative writer
● Willingness to take on a number of tasks at any given time
● Excellent management skills, demonstrated leadership experience, a track record of personal initiative, and proven ability to take ownership
● Excellent interpersonal and cross-organizational communications skills
● Highly responsive to email and available for meetings and events on weeknights (after 5pm) and weekends
● This position requires a minimum commitment of 5-10 hours per week and the ability to respond to email inquiries within 24 hours