Senior Communications Officer
Purpose of the role:
Assist Crisis Group's Communications Director in assuring the organisation's positions are well-represented in influential media outlets, particularly in British and Arabic-language markets.
- Maintain and expand Crisis Group's strong relations with Arabic-language print, broadcast and online media outlets, both pan-Arab and national;
- Maintain and expand Crisis Group's ties with the British media;
- Devise media strategies for specific Arabic-language markets;
- Curate and maintain Crisis Group's Arabic presence in social media;
- Draft media releases for Crisis Group reports and other outputs;
- Edit Op-Eds and similar articles;
- Organise, schedule and follow up on media interviews and background briefings with Crisis Group analysts around the world;
- Maintain Crisis Group's Arabic-language media contact lists in cooperation with other relevant offices;
- Monitor Arabic-language media for coverage of Crisis Group and its analysts;
- Assist in preparation of Weekly Update;
- Help maintain Crisis Group's web pages, including blogs;
- Translate Op-Ed articles and media releases from English into Arabic;
- Assist in the production of Crisis Group's annual report; and
- Manage a media intern.
- Excellent Arabic and English language skills with publishing-level fluency in both and with a track-record of published work in these two languages;
- At least five years' experience working in journalism (as editor and/or reporter), with a demonstrated ability to work with Arabic- and English-language media and close familiarity with those media markets, including print, broadcast and online outlets;
- Ability to write short, quick, and accurate summaries of complex and highly sensitive material;
- Experience with the NGO sector, ideally related to conflicts or humanitarian crises;
- Excellent computer skills, online research savvy, and experience with creating web pages;
- Experience with social media;
- Knowledge of conflict zones highly preferred, particularly field experience;
- Experience working in an international environment;
- Ability to travel frequently to the UK is required;
- University degree in international relations, journalism, history or related field; and
- Resourceful, inventive, team-worker, efficient, self-reliant and highly organised.
Applications should be submitted in English and include a CV, cover letter, a job-appropriate writing sample and contact details of three professional references. Please send applications by email to email@example.com, including "Senior Communications Officer" in the subject line.
Recruitment will remain open until the appropriate candidate is appointed. Please note that only candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please