Secretary General - Young European Federalists
The Young European Federalists (JEF Europe), the international non-governmental youth organisation (INGYO) is looking for candidates to fill the position of Secretary General (SG). As appointed officer and legal representative, the Secretary-General works full-time for the organisation at the European Secretariat in Brussels and is responsible, under the guidance of the Executive Board, for:
- the organisation of seminars, projects, training events and other campaign activities;
- external representation (European Institutions, NGOs, etc.);
- external communication and support to the member sections;
- the organisation of statutory meetings;
- the organisational support to the Executive Board;
- the financial management of the organisation (together with the treasurer);
- day-to-day office work, including maintenance of the JEF Europe website.
S/he will be supported by one or more mid-term stagiaires in the Brussels office.
The Secretary General should have:
- a thorough understanding of European politics;
- extensive experience in NGO work, ideally on a European level and/or in JEF;
- extensive experience in project management;
- excellent language skills; fluency in English is a precondition, any other European languages and especially French and/or Dutch is considered a strong asset;
- excellent communication and presentation skills;
- experience with finances and bookkeeping;
- excellent knowledge of MS/OpenOffice and online communications (email, social media);
- experience with institutional fundraising, especially EU grants, as well as diversification of fundraising;
- experience with human resources management and team management as well as leadership skills;
- self-motivation and ability to work independently;
- ability to manage different priorities and responsibilities;
- ability to work with and reporting to a democratic and volunteer-led Board;
- the willingness to undertake frequent travels;
- the sensibility to work in a multilingual and multicultural environment.
The applicant should show flexibility (15+ week-ends/year), initiative, personal commitment and motivation on supporting the activities promoted by the organisation. JEF-Europe offers an interesting position in an international environment and a high degree of independence in day-to-day work. JEF Europe will issue a working contract under Belgian law, limited for 2 years, including a trial period of 3 months, starting in summer 2013 (exact date to be defined).
Annual gross pay: EUR 30.000 (including benefits)
Deadline for applications: 19 January 2014, 23h59 CET.
The selected candidates will be invited by the Executive Board for an interview taking place in Brussels on the weekend of the 22-23 February. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. The invitation to the interview will be communicated by 7 February 2014. The final decision will be taken by the Federal Committee (FC) of JEF Europe (the SG is appointed by the FC upon recommendation by the Executive Board according to the Statutes of JEF- Europe), at its meeting that will take place in Cambridge, United Kingdom from 28 March until 30 March 2014.
The applications should include the following:
- Curriculum vitae (max 2 pages);
- A motivation letter (max 500 words);
- A proposal for a project (max 500 words) that matches with the priorities of JEF, accompanied by a budget