Resident Director of Finance and Administration: Afghanistan
NDI and its local partners work to promote openness and accountability in government by building political and civic organizations, safeguarding elections, and promoting citizen participation. The Institute brings together individuals and groups to share ideas, knowledge, experiences and expertise that can be adapted to the needs of individual countries.
The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) seeks a Resident Director for Finance and Administration to assist with the implementation of its programs in Afghanistan. The Director will be supervised by the Institute’s Country Director in Afghanistan and will be supported by Kabul and Washington D.C.-based staff. The Director will be based in Kabul. This position is available immediately. A commitment of at least one year is expected for this position.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Maintain financial management systems and ensure the submission of accurate monthly financial reconciliation statements to NDI’s Washington DC office
- Develop and maintain office, personnel, and payroll management systems, including compliance with national tax system
- Oversee the field office’s finance unit, administrative unit, maintenance and housekeeping staff
- Manage all Human Resources issues and ensure compliance with local laws
- Handle issues relevant to the maintenance of NDI’s Kabul regional offices as well as the office and residence compound in Kabul
- Manage office filing and archive systems, and oversee the compilation and maintenance of local databases as required
- Oversee the implementation of policies regarding procurement, shipping, travel and insurance
- Ensure appropriate logistical support is provided for all office events, including organizing meetings and workshops
- Draft program support documents and regular internal reports, as needed
- Manage travel and accommodation logistics for all office staff and consultants
- Other duties as required.
Eligibility and Requirements
- Minimum of fourteen (14) years experience in an international organization in an administrative capacity
- Appropriate educational experience
- Ability to live and work in a challenging political and economic environment; prior experience in conflict or post-conflict settings required
- Experience in the financial management and reporting of multi-million dollar project operations
- Experience with projects supported by USAID and other international donors preferred
- Superior office and staff management skills, with a high degree of organization and attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to present information, respond to questions and contribute to written proposals and reports in a professional manner
- Excellent interpersonal skills to interact effectively with staff, donors and local partners
- Capacity to develop and implement effective strategies for accomplishing assigned duties
- Ability to work under pressure with minimum supervision; capacity to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Excellent knowledge of PC-based word processing, database and spreadsheet applications
- Interest in Afghan political issues
- Fluent in written and spoken English; knowledge of Dari and/or Pashto a plus.
Interested applicant should apply directly through NDI at: http://www.click2apply.net/67cnrsy