We are seeking a highly qualified Research Coordinator to join IAVA’s Research Department. Research will span a variety of issues impacting the newest generation of veterans, including unemployment, education, mental health, the VA claims process and homelessness. The Research Coordinator will work as part of the research team to track and analyze these issues and will help conceptualize, research and draft Issue Reports, White Papers, memos, blogs and other documents. IAVA’s influential Issue Reports and Policy Agenda are often cited by the media and used extensively on Capitol Hill. The Research Coordinator will join a growing research staff, and an energetic, highly visible team, helping win important battles on Capitol Hill and around the country.
The Research Coordinator will report to the Research Director.
Job Posting Date: March 05, 2013
Job Closing Date: March 19, 2013
- Conduct primary and secondary research into issues facing new veterans.
- Work closely with the Research Director to develop, research and write future Issue Reports and White Papers.
- Help analyze IAVA’s survey data and graphically represent data using Microsoft Excel.
- Support the Research team by responding to daily requests for data within the organization.
- Track and analyze data and reports on veterans’ issues.
- Develop expertise on several major issues related to OIF/OEF veterans.
- Perform related tasks as assigned.
Desired skills include:
- Strong writing and editing skills a must.
- Detail oriented with strong organizational skills.
- Proven research and analytical skills.
- Ability to prioritize, multitask, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Flexibility, motivation and enthusiasm.
- Knowledge of legislative and administrative policy-making processes.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Research and writing experience.
- Experience with statistical analysis.
- Public policy, social sciences or social work background is preferred.
- Experience working on veterans’ issues and/or for a nonprofit or think-tank a plus.
- 1 to 2 years minimum experience assessing and applying quantitative and qualitative data in a research and policy context.
- A commitment to IAVA's mission and core values.
How To Apply
Send your resume, cover letter, salary history and three professional references to email@example.com, with your name and "Research Coordinator" in the subject line.
Include a cover letter that concisely explains how your experience could be applied to IAVA. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. No phone calls, please.
IAVA is an equal opportunity employer; VETERANS OF THE CONFLICTS IN IRAQ AND AFGHANISTAN ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
AVA is the nation's first and largest group for veterans of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Founded in 2004 by an Iraq veteran, IAVA is a young, dynamic nonprofit focused on awareness, advocacy and assistance for the 2.2 million men and women returning from Iraq and Afghanistan with over 200,000 veteran members and grassroots supporters in 50 states.
Start date: Immediate
Application deadline: Rolling
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Benefits: IAVA provides comprehensive health and dental coverage, access to vision benefits and a 403(b) retirement plan, as well as three weeks paid vacation per year.