Programming Venue Support Assistant, Programming Deparment (Volunteer Position)
Young Professionals in Foreign Policy (YPFP) fosters the next generation of foreign policy leaders by providing its members knowledge, skills, exposure, and relationships they will need to tackle critical global challenges over the course of their careers.
YPFP is a dynamic, global, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization with more than 10,000 selected members around the world who work in all fields of international affairs. It was established in 2004, and is headquartered in Washington, DC, with branches in Brussels, London, and New York.
The Programming Department designs, leads, and oversees YPFP’s extensive programming opportunities and events. YPFP holds lectures, roundtables, and intimate gatherings for its members with renowned foreign policy leaders. These events include, but are not limited to: Leaderships-Modules, Embassy events, Distinguished Speaker Series, Authors Series and other one off events. Past speakers include Admiral Michael Mullen, Hon. Michele Flournoy, Bob Woodward, Amb. Susan Rice, Joseph Stiglitz, John Hamre, and Steve Coll.
The Venue Support Assistant serves as a member of the YPFP Programming Department’s staff and is responsible for scheduling venue space for a wide variety of programming events. The Venue Support Assistant works with the Programming Department Venue Manager in order to identify potential venue partnerships. The incumbent reports to the Venue Manager and Managing Director (MD) of Programming and keeps him/her informed of event venue changes, challenges, and updates.
A successful candidate will display a clear capacity for innovation, creativity, flexibility, and ability to work both within a team environment and independently. S/he is organized, detail-oriented, and possesses strong communication skills and shows a passion for maintaining YPFP’s reputation in the foreign policy community as an organization with unrivaled programming offerings.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Work with the Venue Manager and Managing Director (MD) to:
- Schedule venue space for Programming events
- Help address any venue issues in advance of programming events
- Research potential venue partnerships
- Prepare documentation of venue characteristics and capabilities
- Attend bi-weekly DC Programming meetings as scheduled (usually every other Sunday)
- Adhere to deadlines set by the Venue Manager and MD of Programming
Eligibility and Requirements:
- Member (dues-paying) of YPFP
- Must be located in the Washington, DC metropolitan area
- Ability to work successfully as part of a team while also working independently to meet Programming Department goals and deadlines
- Availability for meetings and events on weeknights (after 5pm) and weekends Must be able to access ypfp.org e-mail (via Google Apps) and respond to YPFP emails promptly
- This position requires a minimum commitment of 5-10 hours per week and the ability to respond to email inquiries within 24 hours under normal circumstances
- Must be able to use all relevant Google Apps (shared documents, sites, forms, etc.); training is available.
To join the staff of YPFP, please contact email@example.com with a brief statement of interest and resume. In the subject line, please note the title of the position to which you are applying.