Program Officer - Middle East and North Africa
NDI is a nonprofit, nonpartisan, nongovernmental organization that has supported democratic institutions and practices in every region of the world for more than three decades. Since its founding in 1983, NDI and its local partners have worked to establish and strengthen political and civic organizations, safeguard elections, and promote citizen participation, openness and accountability in government.
NDI’s Middle East and North Africa (MENA) team anticipates hiring a Program Officer/Senior Program Officer with international development, political and organizational expertise to support NDI's democratic development programs in the region. The position will be based in Washington, D.C. and will work as a member of the MENA team under the supervision of the Senior Advisor. The Program Officer/Senior Program Officer will provide administrative and programmatic support to democratic development programs in MENA, which include civil society development; women’s and youth political participation programs; governance and accountability initiatives; election processes and domestic monitoring; and political party development. The Program Officer/Senior Program Officer will work as part of a team to contribute to program strategy, development and implementation; draft program proposals and reports, including program and political analysis; monitor program budgets; act as a liaison with members of the international community, including U.S. government agencies; and recruit and brief international trainers, consultants, and political experts.Roles and Responsibilities
- Designs, writes, and edits project proposals in tandem with the Senior Advisor.
- Writes and edits team documents and reports, and web content, as well as memoranda for senior staff and NDI Board members, and provides guidance to written work of subordinates.
- Monitors regional political developments and provides political and programmatic analysis.
- Manages assigned program areas and anticipates programmatic administrative needs.
- Monitors budgets and expenditures for assigned program areas.
- Recruits and briefs international trainers, volunteers and field representatives.
- Serves as point of contact for field staff.
- Acts as liaison with members of NGO, funding and Washington policymaking communities.
- Travels to region, as necessary, to support field-based teams in program implementation, reporting and monitoring and evaluation.
- Maintains collaborative relationships with international democratic development organizations, civic organizations and NDI's network of volunteer trainers and experts.
- Acts as back-up to team members not present.
Eligibility and Requirements
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in International Relations or a related subject; graduate degree preferred.
- A minimum of four (4) years relevant work experience for a Program Officer and six (6) years for a Senior Program Officer, in international development, community organizing, political campaigns, organizational development or legislative affairs.
- Demonstrated knowledge and/or competency in one or more areas of NDI's functional programs.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to analyze the political environment in the Middle East/North Africa.
- Ability to analyze political work, define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Exceptional writing skills to effectively create clear and concise proposals, reports and program materials.
- Excellent oral communications skills to effectively present information, respond to questions and represent NDI and Middle East/North Africa program initiatives.
- Ability to think strategically and innovatively about program design and administration.
- High level of interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity to effectively interact with all levels of staff, regional partners, U.S. and foreign government personnel, members of donor organizations, funders and policy makers.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and prioritize among four or more responsibilities.
- Farsi language fluency strongly desired; Arabic language an additional plus.
- Experience with programmatic use of social media and online campaigning strongly desired; proficiency in design, multi-media editing and other technology a plus;
- Basic managerial skills and ability to mentor subordinates.
- Capacity to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to take initiative and anticipate programmatic and administrative needs.
- Working knowledge of PC-based word processing and spreadsheet applications.
- Working knowledge of basic budget and accounting procedures.
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally, including locations that may be remote and difficult to reach.
To apply, please visit NDI's website at http://www.ndi.org/employment.