Program Officer, MENA
This position is based in Washington, D.C. with travel to the region. This position is responsible for contributing to the development and implementation of country strategies, communications strategies, and support grants to indigenous business associations, think tanks, and other civil society organizations. The position reports to the Regional Director for the Middle East and Africa.
Job Posting Date: March 05, 2013
Job Closing Date: March 19, 2013
- Contribute to the development and implementation of strategy for accomplishing CIPE’s objectives in the MENA region, while focusing on assigned subregion(s).
- Manage a portfolio of in-house projects and subgrants for assigned subregion(s) of MENA, supportive of CIPE’s overall goals and particular country strategies for target countries. The grants program has the following dimensions:
- Identify potential grantees and counsel them on how to develop CIPE project proposals.
- Analyze project proposals in the context of the regional environment, CIPE strategy, grant guidelines and criteria. Work with partners to develop proposals and budgets.
- Conduct background checks on applicant organizations and key individuals
- Establish and maintain regular communications with project partners. Maintain correspondence and operational records regarding CIPE-funded programs in MENA.
- Monitor grantee performance to ensure full compliance with objectives, financial and reporting requirements, and evaluation plan. Write narrative summaries and interim /assessments.
- Evaluate completed projects – through on-site visits, file reviews, and coordination with independent evaluators where appropriate
- Establish and maintain relationships with other donor organizations to identify linkages with CIPE strategies, monitor trends, and assess new funding opportunities. Work with the US State Department (including MEPI), USAID, and other assistance programs to develop joint projects, grants, and/or contracts to further democratic and free-market reform.
- Monitor current events and US relations in MENA countries and assess the impact on ongoing and planned CIPE projects.
- Understand and adhere to appropriate grant and office procedures, as well as CIPE policies.
- Work closely with the Deputy Regional Director and the Regional Director to manage the programmatic aspects of the MENA Info knowledge-sharing and communications project and assist the Deputy Regional Director in managing MENA Info staff based in the CIPE Egypt field office
- Act as the liaison to HQ for the Country Director, Iraq while supporting the Iraq field office in their reporting and processing requirements
- Supervise junior program staff.
- Master’s degree in International Relations or related field
- Minimum five years professional experience with international assistance programs, including two involving the region
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Excellent English writing and presentation skills
- Attention to detail and ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Good presentation skills
- Working knowledge of Arabic strongly desired
- Proficiency in MS Office, specifically MS Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint
- Must be willing to travel for extended and multiple periods
How To Apply
To apply for this opportunity, please send a resume or CV, cover letter, writing sample, and salary history to email@example.com, subject “POMENA- [YOURLASTNAME]”. No phone calls please.
There is a two-page limit on writing samples. Submissions demonstrating writer’s ability to synthesize information are preferred. Applications submitted without writing samples will not be considered.
Applications will be accepted and interviews will be conducted on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls.
CIPE offers a salary competitive with other international non-governmental organizations and an excellent benefits package. Applicants must be legally able to work in the United States; CIPE is unable to sponsor employees for work visas. CIPE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) strengthens democracy around the globe through private enterprise and market-oriented reform. CIPE is one of the four core institutes of the National Endowment for Democracy. Since 1983, CIPE has worked with business leaders, policymakers, and journalists to build the civic institutions vital to a democratic society. CIPE’s key program areas include anti-corruption, advocacy, business associations, corporate governance, democratic governance, access to information, the informal sector and property rights, and women and youth.