Program Events Manager (Volunteer Position)
Young Professionals in Foreign Policy (YPFP) fosters the next generation of foreign policy leaders by providing its members knowledge, skills, exposure, and relationships they will need to tackle critical global challenges over the course of their careers.
YPFP is a dynamic, global, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization with more than 10,000 selected members around the world who work in all fields of international affairs. It was established in 2004, and is headquartered in Washington, DC, with branches in Brussels, London, and New York.
The Programming Team designs, leads, and oversees YPFP’s extensive programming opportunities and events. YPFP is recognized for holding lectures, roundtables, and intimate gatherings with renowned foreign policy leaders. These events include Leaderships-Modules, Embassy events, Distinguished Speaker Series, Revamped Authors Series and other one off events. Past speakers include Admiral Michael Mullen, Hon. Michele Flournoy, Bob Woodward, Amb. Susan Rice, Joseph Stiglitz, John Hamre, and Steve Coll.
The Events Manager serves as a member of the YPFP Programming Department’s staff and is responsible for planning, organizing and overseeing a wide range of programming events. The Events Manager works with the programming team and Program Managers in order to identify potential speakers and themes for future YPFP events. The incumbent reports to the Managing Director (MD) of Programming and keeps him/her informed of event challenges, successes, and updates.
The successful candidate will display a clear capacity for innovation, creativity, ability to work both within a team environment and independently. S/he is organized, detail-oriented, and skilled in communication and shows a passion for maintaining YPFP’s reputation in the foreign policy community as an organization with unrivaled programming offerings.
To join the staff of YPFP, please contact email@example.com with a brief statement of interest and resume.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Working in teams of 2-4 Events Managers, develop comprehensive event programs which align with YPFP strategic goals for members
• Work with the Managing Director (MD) and Program Managers to:
• Set schedule of events for the calendar year
• Draft and send invitations to speakers
• Draft member invitation email and website event posting
• Draft event program
• Draft thank you letter for the speaker
• Work with staff from Programming and other YPFP departments to execute unique events and complete each event lifecycle.
• Attend bi-weekly DC Programming meetings as scheduled (usually every other Sunday)
• Attend at least 2 events per month, and ideally one event per week
• Adhere to deadlines set by the VP and MD of Programming
Eligibility and Requirements:
• Member (dues-paying) of YPFP
• Must be located in the Washington, DC metropolitan area
• Creative, active energy and eagerness to create a wide variety of programming events
• Ability to work successfully as part of a team while also working independently to meet Programming Department goals and deadlines
• Ability to plan and execute programming events
• Ability to attend designated number of events for the calendar year
• Availability for meetings and events on weeknights (after 5pm) and weekends Must be able to access ypfp.org e-mail (via Google Apps) and respond to YPFP emails promptly
• This position requires a minimum commitment of 5-10 hours per week and the ability to respond to email inquiries within 24 hours under normal circumstances
• Must be able to use all relevant Google Apps (shared documents, sites, forms, etc.); training is available