Program Assistant/Senior Program Assistant - Middle East and North Affrica
NDI is a nonprofit, nonpartisan, nongovernmental organization that has supported democratic institutions and practices in every region of the world for more than three decades. Since its founding in 1983, NDI and its local partners have worked to establish and strengthen political and civic organizations, safeguard elections, and promote citizen participation, openness and accountability in government.
The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) seeks a Program Assistant/ Senior Program Assistant to support its democracy development programs in the Middle East & North Africa, specifically the Gulf and Levant regions. The position will be based in Washington, DC.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Provides administrative and logistical support to the Middle East & North Afric (MENA) team, including arranging travel and organizing meetings and conferences, under close supervision of senior staff.
- Under supervision, creates initial drafts of budgets and monitors program expenditures using Excel, Quicken, and other budget tracking tools. Reconciles program budgets/expenditures on a monthly basis.
- Under supervision and direction, researches or contributes to drafts of proposals, reports, memos, program updates, work plans and newsletter articles, and assists in keeping NDI’s internal and external webpage postings current.
- Keeps track of program events in the field and in DC, and assists to organize and maintain files of related documentation and training materials. Compiles briefing materials and assists in preparing and supporting staff and consultants traveling to the field.
- Liaises regularly with field staff to obtain programmatic and administrative information.
- Assists field offices in creating monthly activity budgets and in tracking and reporting monthly office and operational expenditures.
- Monitors political events in assigned countries and provides written and oral updates to senior staff as needed. Attends and records meetings and other events to keep up to date on team, region, and partner-related developments.
- Backs up other team members; acts as the primary liaison between the assigned country team(s) and NDI's administrative and functional teams.
- Fulfills other duties as assigned.
Eligibility and Requirements
- Demonstrated experience in international program and/or administrative management,international development, community organizing, political campaigns, or legislative affairs. Minimum two (2) years of demonstrated experience in relevant fields is required for consideration at the Senior Program Assistant level.
- Bachelor’s degree required in international relations, political science or a related field; graduate degree preferred.
- Experience working in or on MENA countries preferred.
- Basic knowledge of program management, monitoring and evaluation.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Windows and Google applications, information technology (IT)-based communication tools (e.g. Skype, Elluminate), email and document sharing technologies, information and documentation organization techniques.
- High level of interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity to effectively interact with all levels of staff, U.S. and foreign government personnel and the general public.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English; ability to effectively present information, respond to questions, and prepare written reports in a professional and timely manner.
- Knowledge of accounting and budgeting procedures. Experience in developing budget estimates and tracking routine expenditures preferred.
- Capacity to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- High degree of organization, initiative, and attention to detail.
- Interest in and knowledge of regional political environment and people.
- Ability to analyze political developments in the region, especially as they relate to program objectives.
- Ability to independently prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously, solve problems, and meet deadlines.
- Arabic or Farsi language skills preferred.
To apply, please visit NDI's website at www.ndi.org/careers.