Program Assistant/Senior Program Assistant
NDI is a nonprofit, nonpartisan, nongovernmental organization that has supported democratic institutions and practices in every region of the world for more than three decades. Since its founding in 1983, NDI and its local partners have worked to establish and strengthen political and civic organizations, safeguard elections, and promote citizen participation, openness and accountability in government.
The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI or the Institute) seeks to hire a Program Assistant/Senior Program Assistant. This position will support in-country staff, as well as the East Africa support team and the regional management in day-to-day activities and in the planning, designing and implementing programs related to strengthening political parties, civic organizations, and legislatures in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda. This position is based in Washington, D.C. and is available immediately.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Under supervision and direction, researches or contributes to drafts of proposals, reports, memos, program updates, work plans and newsletter articles;
- Under close supervision, provides administrative and logistical support to team, including arranging travel and organizing meetings and conferences;
- Under supervision, creates initial drafts of budgets and monitors program expenditures;
- Assists in program support and conducts research on programs;
- Provides administrative support for proposal production and work plan formulation; takes part in strategic and work plan discussions;
- Monitors political events in assigned countries and provides written and oral updates to senior staff as needed;
- Attends meetings to keep up to date on team, region,or partner-related developments;
- Trains and supervises interns on tasks.
Eligibility and Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in International Relations, Political Science or a related field; graduate degree preferred;
- Minimum two (2) years relevant experience for the Senior Program Assistant level position in international development, community organizing, political campaigns, organizational development or legislative affairs preferred;
- Experience living/working/traveling in Southern and East Africa preferred.
- Interest in and in-depth knowledge of regional political environment and people;
- High level of interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity to effectively interact with all levels of staff, U.S. and foreign government personnel and the general public;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to effectively present information, respond to questions and prepare written reports in a professional and timely manner;
- Capacity to work both independently and as a member of a team in a fast-paced environment;
- Must be detailed-oriented, organized and efficient;
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously and meet deadlines;
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Working knowledge of PC-based word processing and spreadsheet applications;
- Experience with Google Apps (Gmail, Calendar, Google Drive, G+, etc.);
- Working knowledge of basic budget and accounting procedures;
- Ability and willingness to travel to regional locations which are often remote and difficult to reach;
- Political analysis skills;
- Ability to apply discretion and maintain confidential information.
To apply, please visit NDI's website at: http://www.Click2Apply.net/dn553zy