The European Respiratory Society (ERS) - a professional, medical organisation representing experts in the field of lung health and science with members in over 100 countries - is currently recruiting a policy officer for its European Affairs Department. The focus of this position will be on promoting lung health via Brussels based advocacy activities such as high quality events.
Candidates should display flexibility and show an ability to adapt and become acquainted with various ERS projects and policies if necessary. A member of the small but ambitious ERS European Affairs team, this individual will be based in Brussels, reporting to the Head of the European Affairs Department.
- Contribution to advocacy activities such as preparing presentations, drafting speeches, writing editorials and newsletters for ERS members/doctors
- Co-ordination of projects – from providing support to internal working groups and committees (agendas/minutes) to co-ordinating external projects for ERS members/doctors
- Comprehensive delivery of high quality EU policy events for ERS members/doctors
Profile and requirements:
- Master’s degree or equivalent in relevant discipline, e.g. health/research
- Minimum of 3 years work experience, preferably in the healthcare, or association management field
- Understanding of the European institutions
- Experience and high tolerance of working in a hierarchical structure
- Good knowledge of medical/research/health policy issues
- The ability to plan your own work, work on your own initiative and to deadlines
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Ability to distil complex ideas quickly in order to articulate these to relevant audiences internally and externally
- Reliability, honesty, tact and discretion
- Ability to work as part of a small team
- Strong experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Fluency in English (written and spoken) is required
- Knowledge of additional languages is a plus
- Work experience in an international environment
The ERS pays a competitive salary according to the Belgian legislation and social security requirements. Additional benefits will be provided in the package.
Applications should be sent with the subject ‘Policy officer - ERS’ to the Head of European Affairs, Brian Ward, 49-51 Rue de Trèves, 1040, Brussels, Belgium firstname.lastname@example.org
Start date: As soon as possible
Only applicants selected for interview will be contacted