Latin America Center Internship
The Atlantic Council promotes constructive leadership and engagement in international affairs based on the central role of the Atlantic Community in meeting global challenges. Founded in 1961, the Council provides an essential forum for navigating the dramatic shifts in economic and political influence that are shaping the twenty-first century by educating and galvanizing its uniquely influential, nonpartisan network of international political, business, and intellectual leaders. Through the papers we write, the ideas we promote, and the communities we build, the Council's ten regional centers and functional programs shape today's policy choices and foster transatlantic strategies to advance international security and global economic prosperity.
The Latin America Center at the Atlantic Council aims to build a strong partnership among Latin America, the United States, and Europe, based on Latin America’s shared foundation in transatlantic values and its growing strategic importance, and aimed at advancing a global agenda based on those shared values and interests. The Center will undertake a broad array of activities with the goal of raising the profile of Latin America in the transatlantic arena and building a reinvigorated trilateral partnership with the United States and Europe. It will seek to integrate that continent more fully into the transatlantic conversation by fostering a new era of dialogue and partnership between political, business, and opinion leaders from Latin America, Europe, and the United States, and by underscoring that this stronger trilateral relationship must be based on partnership, rather than paternalism. The Center will examine substantive issues in major policy reports as well as through issue briefs, op-eds, and newsletters. To engage top decision-makers and business leaders, the Center will develop a broad, yet high-level network of experts, analysts, and leaders who will convene to discuss the most pressing substantive issues. The Center will connect individuals from this network via a range of events including small, off-the-record roundtables with top experts and larger public events featuring high-level speakers. Throughout this work, the Center will provide top-quality, relevant analysis on Latin America and on the relationships with the United States and Europe, and will be at the forefront of efforts to strengthen that trilateral partnership. The position is non-paid, but candidates gain valuable skills, experience, knowledge, and contacts in the Washington, DC international policy community. The duration of the internship is throughout the summer with the possibility of extension. Interns provide important research and logistical support to the Center. Interns work closely with the Director and Assistant Director. Interns are also encouraged to participate in and attend events hosted by other programs at the Atlantic Council.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Conduct research to support the activities of Center.
- Handle logistical elements for program events.
- Manage program contacts database.
- Draft formal correspondence to government officials and invitations for events.
- Take notes at Council roundtables and strategy sessions for program archives.
Eligibility and Requirements
- Must be at least a college junior in good standing, a recent graduate, or a graduate student.
- Must have excellent research, writing and people skills.
- Must demonstrate proven interest in Latin America issues. Candidates who are undergraduate majors or graduate level students of Latin America Affairs are preferred.
- Must work well with others and interact professionally with senior officials.
- Must be detail oriented and have the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Must have at least a 3.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale), or equivalent from a non-U.S. institution.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
- Ability to read and write Spanish is highly desired.
To apply, please visit the Atlantic Council's website at: http://www.atlanticcouncil.org/careers/employment-internships