Intern/Project Assistant: Elections and Political Processes (Spring 2014)
NDI and its local partners work to promote openness and accountability in government by building political and civic organizations, safeguarding elections, and promoting citizen participation. The Institute brings together individuals and groups to share ideas, knowledge, experiences and expertise that can be adapted to the needs of individual countries.
The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) is currently seeking a diligent, organized and enthusiastic undergraduate, graduate student or recent graduate with strong communication skills and demonstrated interest in elections and democratic transitions to assist NDI’s Elections and Political Processes Team. The Elections Team is responsible for advising and assisting NDI’s regional teams in implementing election-related programs around the world. The intern will work primarily with the Program Officer and Program Assistants of the Election and Political Processes team in our Washington, DC office. The anticipated start date for this position is early to mid-January 2014.Roles and Responsibilities
- Track political and electoral developments in specific countries;
- Coordinate online outreach and communications for a global network of civil society activists;
- Assist with updates to an elections resource website;
- Update and maintain resource materials;
- Assist in the organization of travel, meetings and special events;
- Conduct research projects on specific election-related issues;
- Attend and report on meetings and briefings;
- Assist with administrative tasks such as scanning, photocopying and filing
- Respond to requests for information on election-related issues and NDI’s election programs
- Update and maintain databases of NDI election programs and consultants.
Eligibility and Requirements
- Recent graduate, current undergraduate or graduate student in international affairs,political science or a related field;
- Demonstrated interest in international issues related to democratic transitions and the role of elections in promoting democratic reform;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Fluency in oral and written English, additional language skills strongly desirable, particularly Spanish or French;
- Experience with social media platforms;
- Experience with web and database technologies strongly desirable;
- Experience with event planning strongly desirable;
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Ability to work independently and with others in a fast-paced office;
- Weekday availability of 20 to 40 hours per week.
To apply, please visit NDI's website at www.ndi.org/employment.