Intern, Middle East and North Africa
The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) is seeking an undergraduate or recent graduate to work in Washington, D.C., as an intern for the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) Division's programs. The intern will be responsible for conducting research on country specific programs, particularly Morocco, Mauritania, Algeria, Tunisia, and Libya; attending meetings and seminars on Middle East and North African affairs; and providing administrative support on country projects. We are recruiting for applicants available through the winter/spring of 2014. A February 10, 2014 start date is desired.
- Research and gather materials for country specific programs;
- Collect and distribute to the MENA team foreign and domestic newspapers, magazines, or journal articles and summaries pertaining to the Middle East and North Africa;
- Attend meetings and seminars on Middle East and North African affairs and prepare oral and written presentations to MENA team members;
- Provide administrative support and conduct special projects as needed;
- Translate documents from French to English and from English to French.
- Assist in the preparation and drafting of periodical reports.
- Current or recent graduate with a background in international affairs, political science or a related field;
- Knowledge of and interest in the Middle East and North Africa;
- Advanced proficiency in Arabic (speaking, reading, writing); a language assessment will be administered to applicants indicating Arabic knowledge; French skills desirable, but not required;
- Well-organized, skilled at prioritizing and managing multiple tasks, high attention to detail;
- Excellent writing skills
How to Apply:
To apply, please visit NDI's website at www.ndi.org/employment.This is a paid internship. Applications are now being accepted for this position. Interns are encouraged to attend workshops, lectures and other staff development events at NDI. Only those applicants under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please. Non-U.S. citizens applying for internships and entry level positions based in the U.S. must possess work authorization that does not require employer sponsorship. NDI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or any other characteristic protected by law.